Summary: The very fact that the Lord is represented as moving to lift the burden of these people is evidence that He is moved with concern when His people are in crisis.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
6 Jan 2013
Isaiah 53:4 JESUS: OUR BURDEN BEARER
Intro: This chapter stands out in the Old Testament as the single greatest prophesy/Lord/Jesus/Christ and what He would accomplish for sinners.
• In this chapter, we learn about His Life (v. 1-3)
• His Death, (v. 4-9)
• His Ultimate Triumph, (v. 10-12).
We are given a glimpse into the heart of God
• We see/He loves sinners/degree/He was willing to pay any price for our redemption, and did!
• Made/understand/Jesus/who died/Calvary
Very One who embodies/cry/John the Baptist from the muddy banks of the Jordan river…
"Behold, the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world," John 1:29.
It/evident/chapter/one day, we will reside/Lord/His Heavenly home, v. 10.
• All this is glorious beyond description
• I am grateful to be saved by the grace of God
• Grateful to be bound for the Promised Land.
But, I am stuck on this earth this morning!
• My salvation, though it is an ongoing thing
• It was accomplished several years ago.
• Heaven is still out there in the future
• It is sure, but it is uncertain when I shall be there.
I am not taking anything away from these great truths, but I am glad the Lord put that little phrase in the beginning of verse 4.
This verse tells us, "Surely, He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows..."
• Oh, I don’t worry over Hell this morning,
• I am eternally secure through the precious blood/Lamb.
• I don’t wonder if there will be a Heaven/redeemed’
I possess His promise/one day He will come and take every child of God to be with Him there in that eternal, glorious city, John 14:1-3.
• I do, however, face battles and trials here below
• And so does every other human being alive this morning!
I am just grateful to the Lord that He reminds us that Jesus is our Burden Bearer!
• It is that phrase/that truth, I wish to focus/this morning.
• I would like to preach for a while on the subject of
• Jesus: Our Burden Bearer.
I. THE PERSON ACKNOWLEDGED
A. He Is Unnamed By The Author - The identity of the subject of this passage is never revealed by Isaiah.
• He/always referred/by the pronouns he/him/his.
• Yet,His identity/well known/those who know Him personally.
Even though His name is not given, the discerning soul knows that none other but Jesus could accomplish what is ascribed to this individual.
• Those who are affected by Him are never the same.
• They have no trouble recognizing His footprint/they walk through life.
Ill. The Blind Man of John 9
• After He was healed by Jesus
• he was asked who touched him
• replied that it was a man named Jesus, v. 11.
He was then commanded by the Pharisees to call Jesus a sinner, v. 24.
• The man's reply is classic
• "He answered and said
• Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not:
• one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.", v. 25.
The child of God may not have all the facts concerning Jesus, but he will be able to pick Him out of a crowd.
• The life touched by Him remembers Him forever!
B. He Is Unmasked By His Activity
As I said, the activity of this unnamed man gives His identity away. Let's look at what is said concerning Him.
1. V. 2 A Man Of Sorrows - Matthew 8:20
2. V. 2 Acquainted With Grief
• The Disciple forsook Him, Matt. 26:56
• Peter denied Him, Matt. 26:69-75
• Judas betrayed Him, Matt. 26:47-49
• His own people crucified Him, Matt. 27:22-23.
• Jesus was well acquainted with grief!
3. V. 5 Bruised For Our Iniquities - 1 Pet. 2:24
4. V. 6 Took Out Sins Upon Himself - 1 Cor. 5:21.
5. V. 9 Made His Grave With The Rich - Matt. 27:59-60.
6. V. 10 Conquered Death - Matt. 28:1-6
There are many other references/life/death of Jesus in/12 truth packed verses.
• However, just these few are enough
• Enough to reveal the true identity of the One referred to by the prophet.
• He is Jesus and none other!
C. He Is Uncommon By Any Account
• No matter how you slice it
• Jesus has done what none other could do.
• In dying for our sins and rising from the dead
• He has proven Himself to be none other than God.
He is greater by far too any other who has ever laid claim to the title of "savior."
• Jesus fits the bill!
• He is the One we are talking about tonight.