Summary: Jesus is called the Prince of Peace, and made peace available to all those who believe.
Jesus – AKA
Prince of Peace
Isaiah 9:6-7a NLT
“For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest on his shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 His ever expanding, peaceful government will never end.
What is peace? Peace is a sense of tranquility and well-being; a feeling that all is well.
Life is a series of problems: you are in one now, you’re just coming out of one, or you’re getting ready to go into another one.
LIFE DOES NOT ALWAYS LEAVE A LOT OF ROOM FOR PEACE. Life can be a combination of pandemonium, confusion, bedlam, anarchy and complete turmoil. Just ask any mother.
Three categories of peace:
a. Peace with God
b. Peace with yourself (Focus of today’s message)
c. Peace with others
Let’s look at four facts about peace.
1. Peace is an umpire.
Colossians 3:15 NLT
“And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful.”
Rule – to arbitrate, to govern, to umpire
Peace wants to umpire your decisions. Have you ever made a decision because you felt peace? This was the umpire of peace at work in your life.
When you allow peace to umpire your thoughts, you are giving peace final authority!
• You can argue with the umpire if you wish – but the result is a total loss of peace!
VIDEO – Who is in control? Who is out of control?
• You cannot play the game of life without an umpire. The result would be constant chaos and confusion.
• The owner of the team and the league president have given the umpire final authority on the field to make the decisions.
• We must give the umpire of peace final authority to make our decisions.
2. Peace is measurable.
“Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. 24 Suddenly, a terrible storm came up, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went to him and woke him up, shouting, "Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!" 26 And Jesus answered, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" Then he stood up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly all was calm. 27 The disciples just sat there in awe. "Who is this?" they asked themselves. "Even the wind and waves obey him!"
• The Sea of Galilee is known for these sudden, violent storms and even the experienced fisherman on the boat feared them.
You only have peace over the storms you can sleep through.
• Sleep is our peace barometer. If you can sleep and rest, you have discovered real peace.
• Your focus determines your peace. Perception becomes reality.
• If you are focused on the immovable and unshakable Prince of Peace, you will rest.
• If you are focused on the immovable and unshakable Prince of Peace, your peace becomes powerful.
• WHAT STORM IS KEEPING YOU AWAKE AT NIGHT?
3. Peace is a product of prayer.
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
• We choose to worry.
• If you choose to worry, you are choosing to live without God’s peace.
• If you choose to pray, you are choosing peace.
• Prayer is surrender. Pray is admitting you are not in control.
• Prayer is being thankful and grateful for all that is right in your world.
• Prayer is asking for help.
• Prayer is giving your concerns to the umpire and trusting His decision.
4. Peace is a gift.
John 14:27 NLT
"I am leaving you with a gift — peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn’t like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
THE WORLD CAN GIVE YOU PEACE. IT JUST DOES NOT LAST LONG!
World’s peace – fragile, elusive and dependent on present circumstances
Jesus’ peace – Internal, unshakable, not dependent on present circumstances
• JESUS – The reason the world or people cannot give you lasting peace is because the world and people are not really in charge.
When I was young, I never really knew if my parents were having trouble. I knew my dad was in charge and that all would be well. I cannot remember losing any sleep as a child because of worry. Dad was in charge of our home and all would be well.