Summary: Jesus predicts Peter's denial. These verses give us three harsh realities and three promising truths.
- This section comes right after a couple verses about being conferred a kingdom and the ultimate victory that kingdom will experience. In the meantime, though, there are the challenges of real life.
Three Harsh Realities in this Passage:
1. The reality of false confidence.
2. The reality of struggle.
- Luke 22:31 (“sift you as wheat”).
3. The reality of failure.
- Luke 22:32 (“. . . faith not to fail. And when you have turned back . . .”).
Three Promising Truths in this Passage:
1. Jesus has Satan on a leash.
- Luke 22:31 (“Satan has asked”).
2. Jesus intercedes for us to the Father.
- Luke 22:32 (“But I have prayed for you, Simon”).
3. Your stumble doesn’t make you ineligible to be used by God.
- Luke 22:32 (“And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”)