Summary: Jesus - The Man Who is Equal With God! (2015) PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). Introduction of Father’s Day.
(2). Context: Healing of the lame man (vs 1-15)
(3). Six Claims of Jesus:
#1: "I am equal with God" (vs 19-20)
#2: "I am the giver of life" (vs 21 & 26)
#3: "I am the final judge" (vs 22-23)
#4: "I determine man's destiny" (vs 24)
#5: "I will raise the dead" (vs 25-29)
#6: "I am always doing the will of God" (vs 30)
• American comedian Bill Cosby in his book, ‘Fatherhood’ writes:
• Now that my father is a grandfather, he just can’t wait to give money to my kids.
• But when I was his kid and I asked him for fifty cents,
• He would tell me the story of his life.
• How he got up at 5 A.M. when he was seven years old;
• And walked twenty-three miles to milk ninety cows.
• And the farmer for whom he worked had no bucket,
• So he had to squirt the milk into his little hand;
• And then walk eight miles to the nearest can.
• All for 5 cents a month.
• The result was that I never got my 50 cents!
• But now he tells my children every time he comes into the house:
• “Well, let’s see how much money old Granddad has got for his wonderful kids.”
• And the minute they take money out of his hands;
• I call them over to me and I snatch it away from them.
• Because that is MY money!
(1). Introduction: What is a father?
• The simple answer is threefold:
• A male person whose sperm unites with an egg, resulting in the conception of a child.
• A man who adopts a child.
• A man who raises a child.
• Well that is short and to the point;
• But surely being a father is much more!
• Actor/comedian, Ricky Gervais has played a number of characters on TV and in films;
• One of his latest characters is called ‘Derek’.
• Derek is a kind hearted, middle aged man with learning difficulties.
• Derek is the star of a happy and yet sad fly on the wall look at his life.
• Derek lives and works working in a care home trying to make sense of the world.
• In the final episode the father who abandoned him as a baby;
• Turns up at the care home;
• He is full of guilt and hoping his son Derek will receive him.
• At first Derek can’t cope with the shock of seeing his Dad;
• And does not know how to handle the rollercoaster of emotions that he is feeling.
• So Derek shuns his dad and rejects him.
• In the final scene of the series, we see Derek getting out of a car,
• He runs up to his father on the street and embraces him.
• When they get back to the care home;
• Derek proudly introduces his father to the residents;
• He then turns to the fly on the wall camera and says ‘I got a Dad!’
• Quote: Someone once said
• ‘It takes a few seconds to father a child but a life time to be a Father’.
Fatherhood is worth celebrating.
• It’s part of God’s strategy together with a mother in creating an environment of: