Summary: The bible says that Jesus fasted and was tempted for 40 days in the desert by satan. Satan tempted him with all kinds of rewards if He would just bow down to him and worship him. We are tempted every day by the evils of this world. Jesus was asked to u
The bible says that Jesus fasted and was tempted for 40 days in the desert by satan. Satan tempted him with all kinds of rewards if He would just bow down to him and worship him. We are tempted every day by the evils of this world. Jesus was asked to use His Father’s power to His advantage. Jesus was promised everything on earth. Satan even used the bible against Him. One of the main problems though is that he either misquoted or took things out of context. As children of God we will never be tempted beyond what we can bear, but God will give us a way out.
Let us pray
1. And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2. Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered. 3. And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. 4. And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. 5. And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. 7. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. 8. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. 9. And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: 10. For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: 11. And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 12. And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 13. And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season. 14. And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
I. Verse 1 tell us He went to the wilderness
A. Some translations say desert
1. The term applies to the regions of the earth characterized by less than 10" of annual rainfall.
2. Daytime temperatures can be 55C(131F) in the shade dropping to freezing at night as the desert floor radiates the heat back to the atmosphere.
3. They are barren, arid places with no noticeable vegetation or water supply.
B. The desert played a big part in many places of the bible
1. The children of Israel wandered for 38 years.
2. Elijah fled from Jezebel to the desert.
3. Jesus was tempted by the devil in the desert.
C. Many time in life we go through barren places seem dry and lifeless
D. No growth or things in sight
E. There are times during temptation God’s gives a way out and test our faith
1. Exodus 15:25 And he cried unto the LORD; and the LORD shewed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there he made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there he proved them,