Summary: This Christmas Eve Sermon explores the meaning of Jesus name and celebrates.
I. There are many innovated names being given to babies today.
A. Gillian Anderson girl - Piper Maru
1. Courtney Cox Arquette girl - Coco
2. Christie Brinkley girl - Sailor Lee
3. Richard Gere boy - Homer James Jigme
4. Sylvester Stallone boy - Sage Moonblood
B. Names have meanings.
1. ROBERT Means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements
2. STEPHEN From the Greek name meaning "crown".
3. SHIRLEY From a surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "bright clearing" in Old English...
4. LAURA feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel"... [more]
C. In ancient times, names were not only given at birth but also added to as the child grew.
1. The later names reflected the character of the child.
2. Imagine Joseph giving this babe a name.
a. This son was not even his, biologically.
b. And yet God, tells you to name him.
3. Little do we know what we are saying when we call the babe who was born in Bethlehem, Jesus.
D. If we truly understood what the name means, we would not only be saying something about Him but also us.
II. JESUS - English form of Ιησους (lesous), which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name עשוהי (Yeshu'a). Yeshu'a is itself a contracted form of Yehoshu'a (see JOSHUA).
A. Joshua means “the LORD is salvation,”
1. Yeshua ben Yoseph, better known as Jesus Christ,
B. When we utter the name Jesus and mean it, we are saying we need Him.
1. We are saying we need Jesus, the Savior.
a. How can you need a Savior unless you need saved.
b. And then comes the question, what do I need saved from.
c. The answer may surprise you.
2. We all need saved from ourselves.
C. You see we are all sinners.
1. We commit acts of transgression against God’s holiness.
2. Every transgression needs to be paid for with
III. The word sin is QìáñôÜíù ham-ar-tan '-o which means “to miss the mark”
A. It goes back to an ancient word which archers used.
1. What was the archer trying to do with his bow and arrow?
2. He was trying to get the arrow to hit the bulls eye, the perfect mark.
3. When he failed he sinned “he missed the mark.”
B. God created you and me with a divine purpose and to live with Him forever.
1. But sin is our big problem.
2. We do not even live up to our own standards let alone God’s perfect standard.
3. We not only commit acts of sin, but there is something drastically wrong with us.
C. We are, as the archers would say, a bend arrow.
1. We in our very nature “miss the mark.”
2. We all sin in the sense that we miss God’s perfect mark.
3. We guilty and lost.
4. When we call for Jesus, the Savior, we are saying we need to be saved from our sin. We need His death upon the cross to take away our sin.
5. 2 Corinthians 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (NIV)
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."(NIV)