Summary: Introduction to Ephesians
EPHESIANS - Exaltation
INTRODUCTION: Ephesians was one of the four Epistles written by Paul from his Roman jail. It is the loftiest of all NT literature, identifying the Believer as enjoying the blessings of “ heavenly places in Christ”. The letter identifies the wealth, the worth and the walk of the Child of God.
I. The Author of the Book -
A. Paul (1:1:3:1) - Though his name only appears twice, 1st person pronouns are used 30 times.
B. The Letter identifies Paul as:
1. An Apostle - (1:1);
2. A Prisoner - (3:1; 4:1);
II. The Recipients of the Book
A. The City of Ephesus
1. Established @ 1100 BC in Western Turkey - “Asia”
2. Political capital of Asia.
3. Commercial center: main port, major trade route to the Orient.
4. Religious center: Temple of Diana, goddess of fertility.
B. The Church in Ephesus (1:1) was:
1. Established by Paul during his 2nd Missionary Journey (Acts 18:19-21);
2. Led by Paul for 3 years during his 3rd Missionary Journey (Acts 19:20);
3. Ministered to by some of the greatest 1st Century Christians: Paul, Aquilla, Priscilla, Apollos, Timothy & John;
4. Considered by Paul to be “faithful” (1:1).
III. The Date & Place of Writing
A. Place: Written, together with Philippians, Colossians & Philemon, from Rome, while Paul was awaiting trial before Caesar (3:1; 4:1; Acts 28:30)
B. Date: Probably written in late 61 AD, or early 62 AD.
IV. The Purpose of the Book:
A. To remind the Ephesians of the spiritual blessings they have in Christ Jesus (1:3);
B. To encourage them through his prayers on their behalf (1:15-23; 3:14-21 );
C. To show them the nature of the Church (1:22-23; 2:11-22);
D. To challenge them to live as Christians (Ch. 4:1-3);
E. To prepare them for spiritual battle (Ch. 6:10-24).
V. The Keys to the Book
A. The key thought = Saved by Grace
B. The key phrase = "in Christ" - 10 times (1: ).
C. The key verses = 2:8-9
D. Key Words:
1. In - 105 times
2. Saved/Salvation - 4 times
3. Grace - 12 times
4. Wherefore - 7 times
5. Works - 8 times
6. Therefore - 7 times
7. Riches - 5 times
8. Heavenly places - 4 times
9. Walk - 7 times
10. According to - 15 times
11. Church - 9 times
12. Body - 9 times
VI. The Outline to the Book
A. The Christian’s Wealth - Ch. 1-3
1. Redemption (Ch. 1)
a. God the Father planned the Church (1:1-6)
b. God the Son purchased the Church (1:7-10)
c. God the Spirit preserved the Church (1:11-14)
d. Paul the Apostle prayed for the Church (1:15-23) = A Prayer for Enlightenment.
2. Reconciliation (Ch. 2)
a. We were ruined by sin (2:1-3)
b. We were redeemed by grace (2:4-10)
c. We were reconciled by God (2:11-16)
d. We were restored by Christ (2:17-22)
3. Revelation (Ch. 3)
a. The mystery (3:1-12)
b. The petition (3:13-21) - A Prayer for Enablement.
B. The Christian’s Walk (Ch. 4-6)
1. The Walk of the Believer (Ch. 4- 6:9)
a. Walk in unity (4:1-16)
1) The exhortation to unity (4:1-3)
2) The explanation to unity (4:4-6)
3) The implementation of unity (4:7-11)
4) The expectations of unity (4:12-16)
b. Walk in purity (4:17- 5:21)
1) Put off the old man (4:17-22)
2) Put on the new man (4:23-29)