Summary: Job examines his life carefully for hidden sins. We must regularly ask ourselves some hard questions.
A. Apostle Paul exhorts us to examine ourselves - II Cor.13:5
1. This is something the faithful Christian must do everyday.
2. We must look into the mirror of God’s Word, and see the truth about ourselves, no matter how unpleasant it might be - Jas.1:23-25
3. We must be willing to say what David said in Psa.139:23-24 "Search me O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting"
B. Job was certainly willing to do this in Job 31
1. In his final defense he calls out to Job for vindication and virtue.
2. Despite what his friends think, he has led a life of integrity and purity.
3. Because of this, Job cannot understand the purpose of his sufferings.
I. HAVE I RESISTED THE TEMPTATION TO SIN? v.1-4, 9-12
A. Job had been sexually faithful to his wife
1. He had avoided fornication, and every type of sexual sin.
2. He had not even looked upon a woman to lust after her.
3. Jesus spoke of the sin of adultery - Matt.5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
B. Notice the words that Job uses to describe this sin:
1. Wickedness, and iniquity are very strong terms.
2. This sin is "deserving of judgment," and is a ’fire that consumes to destruction" vv.11-12
3. This is a sin that will destroy us - and it all begins with a look, leads to lust, and then loss. We must put this to death, or it will be the death of us - Col.3:5-6 - Remember King and Bathsheba. David won many victories, but was slain by a Giant called Lust.
II. HAVE I RECOGNIZED THE NEED TO BE TRUTHFUL? vv.5-8
A. Job was a man of great integrity
1. His heart was right and his hands were clean.
2. "Let me be weighed on honest scales"
B. God hates lying lips - they are an abomination to Him.
1. The world says - only tell the truth when convenient.
2. So many today will lie to protect themselves.
3. God sees and hears it all - be sure your sins will find you out.
4. TELL THE TRUTH EVERYTIME. It will set you free - John 8:32 Honesty is the ONLY policy!
III. HAVE I RELEASED MY TALENTS IN HELPING THE NEEDY? vv.13-23
A. Job had always reached out to needy people around him.
1. He was a generous person, willing to share what he had with others.
2. The fatherless and widow was not ignored.
3. Hospitality had been extended to the stranger v.32
B. How do we measure up in this area?
1. Too often we are like the Priest and Levite, walking by on the other side?
2. Job was like the Good Samaritan who got involved.
3. I John 3:17-18; Matt.25 One talent man
IV.HAVE I REFUSED TO TRUST IN MATERIAL RICHES? vv.24-26
A. Job had not made Gold his God v.24
1. He did not place his confidence in his wealth.
2. All of it disappeared when things turned bad for Job in chapters 1-2
B. Material riches are passing not permanent
1. Remember what Jesus said? Matt.6:19-21,24
2. Remember the parable he told? Lk.12:19
3. Don’t place your trust in riches - trust God! I Tim.6:17
V. HAVE I RESTRAINED MY TONGUE WHEN IT MATTERED MOST? vv.29-40
A. "I have not allowed my mouth to sin" v.30
1. Who of us can say that?
2. "The tongue is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison" (Jas.3:8).
3. An unrestrained tongue can kill - a marriage, family, a church, and even a reputation.
4. Want to know if you are a Christian - listen to what you say, and how you say it.
5. Our words will condemn or justify us - Matt.12:36-37 "every idle word"
6. Let us learn to restrain our tongue when it matters most, when we will commit a grievous sin if we say what we think!
B. At the close of the Book of Job, we see Job justified by God.
1. God interrupts a young wind-bag Elihu - and declares His awesome power.
2. Job repents in dust and ashes, and then is double-blessed by God.
3. Job’s friends are rebuked, and then Job prays for them. Job 42:1-10
PUT YOURSELF TO THE TEST TODAY AS JOB DID!
1. AM I TRULY A CHRISTIAN - in my words and deeds? Nobody likes a hypocrite (except Satan). Lets be sure we are what we claim to be!
2. HAVE I BECOME A CHRISTIAN IN THE WAY THAT THE BIBLE TEACHES?