Summary: Continuing our study of Revelation we are shown a very vivid description of Jesus Christ in His glorified body. This is the same Jesus we shall see one if we follow Him in our lives.
Open your bibles to Revelation, Chapter 1
- Let’s recap last week quickly:
-- Over-arching importance: 2 Timothy 4:2 (quickview)  says “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.”
-- We ought to be able to give an answer for why we serve as we do
-- Why? To give hope to the future and show why we believe in Christ
- Why do we preach?
-- We have been freed by blood (Rev 1:5b-6) ** Most important reason **
- John was an ordinary man, but he was a sold-out, servant of God
-- Being sold out means that no matter what it takes, God’s will comes first
- Why is the mission so important?
-- The only reason that matters: It was given by the Spirit of God!
Ω Point 1 - What did John see?
* We will get to the 7 golden lamp stands and 7 stars in a few minutes
- John saw an appearance of a person – human form
-- There was something remarkable about this vision; not just ordinary
-- John saw a form of a man, an outline; recognizable as a man
- White hair; Purity from the top: God’s purity begins with your head (mind)
- Romans 12:2 (quickview) , “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- This image of purity has to be one that we strive for
-- IMP: It is what Jesus exemplified; what separated Him from all of us
- Eyes of fire; Truth and piecing: The eyes are the windows to the soul
-- When you witness, your eyes ought to look at the with God’s eyes
-- There should be love in them, with an underlining of God’s wisdom
- We are commanded to love one another
-- You can love someone but not approve of their sin
-- When you judge, you have just sinned and placed yourself over them
-- APP: See people with God’s eyes, not your own – when you look into someone’s eyes with God’s love, what you see if their NEED, not their SIN!
- Feet of Bronze; God’s refining fire: Works will be purified by God’s fire
- What happens when we get purified?
- Voice; Rushing waters (Niagara Falls): There is authority in his speech
-- The sound of rushing water is one that you can never forget
-- The power behind it, the energy it gives off – this is how John described
- A sword from His mouth; Word of God cuts like a sword (always)
-- There is nothing more truth based than God’s Word
-- This is promised to never fade away, and will outlast the test of time
- Look at John’s response to this scene: