Summary: Continuing our study of Revelation we are shown a very vivid description of Jesus Christ in His glorified body. This is the same Jesus we shall see one if we follow Him in our lives.
Revelation, Part 2, Revelation 1:12-18
Open your bibles to Revelation, Chapter 1
- Let’s recap last week quickly:
-- Over-arching importance: 2 Timothy 4:2 says “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.”
-- We ought to be able to give an answer for why we serve as we do
-- Why? To give hope to the future and show why we believe in Christ
- Why do we preach?
-- We have been freed by blood (Rev 1:5b-6) ** Most important reason **
- John was an ordinary man, but he was a sold-out, servant of God
-- Being sold out means that no matter what it takes, God’s will comes first
- Why is the mission so important?
-- The only reason that matters: It was given by the Spirit of God!
Read Revelation 1:12-18
Ω Point 1 - What did John see?
* We will get to the 7 golden lamp stands and 7 stars in a few minutes
- John saw an appearance of a person – human form
-- There was something remarkable about this vision; not just ordinary
-- John saw a form of a man, an outline; recognizable as a man
- White hair; Purity from the top: God’s purity begins with your head (mind)
- Romans 12:2, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- This image of purity has to be one that we strive for
-- IMP: It is what Jesus exemplified; what separated Him from all of us
- Eyes of fire; Truth and piecing: The eyes are the windows to the soul
-- When you witness, your eyes ought to look at the with God’s eyes
-- There should be love in them, with an underlining of God’s wisdom
- We are commanded to love one another
-- You can love someone but not approve of their sin
-- When you judge, you have just sinned and placed yourself over them
-- APP: See people with God’s eyes, not your own – when you look into someone’s eyes with God’s love, what you see if their NEED, not their SIN!
- Feet of Bronze; God’s refining fire: Works will be purified by God’s fire
-- 1 Corinthians 3:15 says, “If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”
- What happens when we get purified?
-- 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
- Voice; Rushing waters (Niagara Falls): There is authority in his speech
-- The sound of rushing water is one that you can never forget
-- The power behind it, the energy it gives off – this is how John described
- A sword from His mouth; Word of God cuts like a sword (always)
-- There is nothing more truth based than God’s Word
-- This is promised to never fade away, and will outlast the test of time
- Look at John’s response to this scene:
-- Out of fear … John fell to his feet as if he were dead and lifeless
-- Proverbs 9:10, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”
- His body had no other reaction to the image but to collapse, to go limp
-- Perhaps this is like Moses being hid in the cleft as God passed by?
-- Consider this: Is seeing The Father or The Son in this image while we are viewing with human eyes is too much to comprehend?
--- Could this be why we are transformed in Glory to see Jesus as He is?
Ω Point 2 - Do not be afraid
- This is Jesus, in his glorified body – without the flesh of the world!
-- He proclaims that he holds the keys to death and Hades
-- Death – Those who have Jesus will never die; but live eternally with Him
-- John 11:26 says, “Whoever lives and believes in me will never die”
- Hades (Hell) … this is the second death
-- Revelation 20:14 says “Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.”
- Hades is a place, a very real place, and it is where those who disobey God
- It is where those who die without Jesus will be for eternity
-- Hades will be brought before God and thrown into the lake of fire