Summary: Sermon 5 in the series. As the children of Israel prepare to enter the land, Joshua pulls aside his leaders and addresses them. He is honest about the challenges ahead. But he reminds them of their responsibility, and if they will be faithful, their rewar
Follow the Leader!
CBC Joshua Series #5
Before moving into the text, where Joshua and Caleb and the Israelites will enter the land, let us not forget that Moses and all Israelites who had been over 20 years old at the Exodus will not enter the land. In fact, they are all dead!
1. Why Moses didn’t go in.
• Failure to glorify God.
• Must “We” fetch you water.
• Should have been “He.”
• So there is a solemn warning to the minister.
• One that I take seriously!
• But there is also a serious warning to the laity here!
2. Why Majority didn’t go in.
• Failure to honor & obey leadership.
• Failure to follow the vision that God gave to the leaders.
• Listening to the negative crowd!
• When you fight God’s man, with God’s plan, then you are fighting God’s plan.
QUOTE: “Leadership is the activity of influencing people to cooperate toward some goal which they COME TO FIND desirable.” (Ordway Tead)
I. Jehovah Speaks to The Leader (1-9)
Joshua 1:1 Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister, saying,
• The command is to Joshua & is to be obeyed by the people.
• God speaks to the leader.
• He demands obedience from the people even though He does not speak to them directly.
A. The Commands (2)
 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
1. Enter the Land (Chapters 1-5)
2. Conquer the Land (Chapters 6-12)
3. Divide the Land (Chapters 13-22)
B. The Conditions (7-9)
1. Obedience to God’s Word
 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
• Observe to do “all the law.” (7)
• Turn not from it to right hand or to the left.(7)
• We are to “do according to all that is written therein.” (8)
• If we are to prosper, we must obey the Word. ALL the Word.
2. Meditation on God’s Word
 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
3. Trust in God’s Word
 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
a. FOUR REQUIREMENTS HERE!
b. ONE REMINDER - The Lord thy God is with thee!
C. The Comfort (3-6)
• 1 promise for each command.
• What God demands from us He helps us with.
• We have the Comforter!
1. I will help you enter (3,4)
 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.  From the wilderness and this Lebanon [mountain range] even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.