Summary: In baking all ingredients are important. The same is true in the Christian life. But one ingredient is of upmost importance. It is humility. Do not leave out this essential ingredient!
Cornerstone Church August 30, 2015
“Joy: Don’t Leave Out the Most Essential Ingredient.”
My wife Janet and I have the great joy of having five children. They have grown up to be incredible adults making a difference in the world through their vocations.
Our oldest twin daughters are now thirty-one years old and our youngest twenty-six years old.
This past year are family was blessed with the addition of two Grandchildren (a Grandson and Granddaughter).
Like your homes, there were days our house was filled with energy (especially at one point with five children under five years old). Children attract other children (their friends) and so our home was often filled with smells of something baking (hopefully chocolate chip cookies).
As my daughters got a little older they ventured into the world of baking! Their early experiments were attention-grabbing!
* On one occasion Aimee and Alison baked Molasses Cookies with extra virgin olive oil instead of regular oil. They were healthy but unique.
* On another attempt Aimee and Alison doubled a recipe but did not double the amount of butter used. Needless to say they were a little “dry!”
* Jennifer baked brownies with brown sugar instead of regular sugar. Today she has perfected brownies and lemon squares!
I discovered baking involves chemistry.
If you leave out an important ingredient it changes the outcome.
Example of baking muffins:
* Leave out the egg – they just look weird inside
* Leave out the butter – they are dry
* Leave out the baking powder – they just don’t rise!
Imagine Pumpkin pie without sugar or popcorn without salt or butter!
YOU GET THE IDEA!
LEAVING OUT AN ESSENTIAL INGREDIENT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
This morning we are back in the Book of Philippians.
* Paul is writing the Church at Philippi from a Roman prison (guarded 24/7).
* While chains shackle Paul his heart is unshackled and filled with extraordinary joy!
How could Paul write such a powerful message about joy?
It is simple! He knew the LORD Jesus Christ as His Savior!
2 Cor. 5:17 NASB Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
WHEN WE ARE SAVED!
* Born Again (Born from Above)
* Become a follower (disciple) of Christ
LIFE IS DIFFERENT (WE ARE DIFFERENT)
* The Holy Spirit and the Word of God start removing all that is not like Christ (the old things pass away)!
* Christ transforms us into a vessel of honor (you are a new creation)!
IT IS NO LONGER BUSINESS AS USUAL!
PAUL KNEW THIS!
* He was a self-righteous Pharisee who was a persecutor of the church!
* His goal was to stop the early church from spreading even if it involved killing the Christians. Remember, he was there as they were stoning Stephen!
* The LORD Jesus Christ confronted him on the Road to Damascus on his way to arrest more Christians and revealed to Saul (now Paul) Who He really is!
Now in prison with a heart of overwhelming joy for His Savior Paul writes to the Saints at Philippi and us today to communicate what is the essential ingredient for keeping a joy filled life and heart and fellowship of believers healthy and a powerful testimony to the lost.