Summary: Let us not abandon the theology that God and this culture is on a collision course. Hear the words of the prophet and make ready!
Words of Warning – Series from Joel
“Judgment Is Coming”
* One of the forgotten, if not dismissed, truths from God’s word is that this world is on a collision course with Almighty God (Elohim). While it is true that God is a god of love, grace, and even mercy, what people of today may well need is a reminder of the truth that God is a God of justice & judgment.
* Today we begin a walk through the prophecy of Joel. Not a great deal is known about Joel, but we would do well to know a great deal about what Joel wrote. Why? Because of the first verse in this prophecy, “The word of the Lord that came to Joel son Pethuel.” Even though we have little knowledge of Joel & less of Pethuel, it is in our best interest to hear from the one whose words Joel is recording. The 63 verses in this prophetic book serve to caution and to call all people to have a clear view of God’s coming judgment. At the end of every message in this book is an invitation to miss the judgment of God but it takes ACTION.
* The prophet Amos echoes this message in the sixth chapter he writes, “WOE to those who are at ease in Zion & to those who feel secure on the hill of Samaria.” Considering God’s impending judgment in 4 thoughts:
1. The Coming of Judgment – Notice the first two words of verse 2, “Hear this.” Almost every translation and paraphrase says the same thing. However, this phrase is more like a “listen up” or “pay attention” as it carries with it the idea and the message is important. Judgment is coming & you want to know it so that you can be prepared. He identifies both the leaders and the people to say, “Listen up.” If it were today, there might have been a ‘tone’ (like the emergency broadcast system) to get out attention.
a. The discernment – Of the many ways there are to discern things, asking rhetorical questions is very effective. Can you hear the inference in the tone of the question of “Has anything like this every happened?” Considering whom it is asking this question, our minds and souls should be stirred to understand exactly what it is that Jehovah/Yahweh has in mind. But here is the startling truth; Obviously God has something in mind which is unlike anything seen by this generation. When we are reminded of some of the atrocities which this generation has witnessed and then think that God will top all of these, we should discern that judgment is on the way.
b. The disclosure – To read verse 3 is to understand that, as holders of the truth, we should disclose the truth. Truth is not truth simply when we ‘like it’, but it is truth-no matter what! Part of the sad situation of the 21st century “Americanize church” is that we have discarded the truth of God in relation to His judgment. His right judgment is based on justice.
Judgment is Coming – Pg 2
* Amos 5:24 says, “Let justice roll like water and righteousness, like an unfailing stream.” Not only has we better know (discern) and tell (disclose) that God’s judgment is coming, but we might want to know what it will be like! Look at the;