Summary: ‘Keep Calm Jesus is in Control!’ - John chapter 6 verses 16-21 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(1). God Has A Plan For Me And Its Good (vs 16)
(2). God Sees Everything I am Going Through (vs 15)
(3). God’s Help Is Always On Time (vs 18b-19)
(4). God’s Purpose Is Always For Our Growth (vs 20-21)
(5). God’s Word Never Fails (vs 20).
• “Keep Calm and Carry On”
• The phrase originated as a slogan in the spring before World War II.
• Anticipating the dark days ahead, the British government designed a poster;
• To hang in areas being targeted by German bombers.
• Around 2.5 million copies were printed, but not one of them was posted,
• As officials had last-minute doubts;
• About whether the content was too patronizing or obvious.
• They also couldn't settle on an appropriate time to hang the posters.
• Save for a select few, the majority of the posters were destroyed.
Fast-forward six decades to the year 2,000 and one of the remaining posters;
• Was discovered by a bookseller who bought a box of old books;
• And hidden inside one of the books was one of posters.
• Not realising its rarity or its values;
• The owner of in ‘Barter Books’ in Alnwick, Northumberland,
• Put it up on the wall over the cash register.
• Pretty soon, customers were asking about where they could buy a similar poster,
• And the shop's owners, Stuart and Mary Manley, decided to print copies.
• Little did they know how fast the "Keep Calm" craze would spread.
• ‘Keep Calm’ products have now flooded the market;
• The phrase is plastered on every printable surface from:
• T-Shirts, mugs, keyrings, rugs, posters and much more.
• TRANSITION: "Keep calm and carry on"
• Is the lesson the disciples are going to learn in through this event.
Now to get the full story of this incident:
• You would do well to read what the Matthew and Mark record as well;
• Because different witnesses note different details.
• i.e. Only John in his Gospel records in his account;
• That the people were going to try to make Jesus their king by force.
• i.e. Only Mark records in his record;
• That Jesus looked out and saw the disciples straining at the oars on the stormy lake.
• i.e. And only Matthew records in his narrative;
• What happened with Peter that night.
• Hard to believe you might miss out an incident like that one!
• Now, I want us to note five key things from this short event.
• Five simple applications we can pick out from John’s description pf this event.
(1). God Has A Plan For Me And It Is Good (vs 16)
“When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them.”.
• God has a plan for me and it is Good;
• But that doesn’t mean a life without hardships and difficulties!
• Some of you will know that for ten years I had a second hand bookstall;
• Selling mainly Christian books and Bibles at Fareham market.
• One of the other traders was a man called Simon;
• On a Monday morning when we went to get a breakfast roll and a cup of coffee,
• Simon would always ask me every week, the same two questions: