Summary: This is the 5th sermon in the series "Closet Christianity".
Series: Closet Christianity [#5]
KEEP IT CLEAN
We have been working hard on emptying out, cleaning, sorting, and organizing our closets. Once this is all done, we’re finished- right? Of course not. Once we get our closets organized, we must keep it organized. If you remember from last week, we organized our keep pile into 3 categories (your God given responsibilities, your God given gifts, and your God given tools); and then we put those things back into our life. It takes work to keep your closet clean and organized. We also need to remember that people and situations change as time goes by.
The 1st thing in your closet that you need to keep clean and organized is…
Your God Given Responsibilities
David had been faithful to keep his God given responsibilities and go fight Goliath. David didn’t delay, he didn’t let anyone talk him out of going, and he didn’t forget how God had been faithful in the past; but that didn’t stop Satan from attacking David again. Yes, David had a reputation for being a giant slayer; but Satan could care less.
2 Samuel 21:15-17 (NLT)
“Once again the Philistines were at war with Israel. And when David and his men were in the thick of battle, David became weak and exhausted. Ishbi-benob was a descendant of the giants; his bronze spearhead weighed more than seven pounds, and he was armed with a new sword. He had cornered David and was about to kill him. But Abishai son of Zeruiah came to his rescue and killed the Philistine. After that, David’s men declared, "You are not going out to battle again! Why should we risk snuffing out the light of Israel?"
Please be reminded that:
1. Satan is not intimidated by your reputation. Satan believes in equality when it comes to trying to destroy God’s children. If Satan will attack Jesus, He will attack anyone.
1 Corinthians 10:12 (NLT)
“If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you, too, may fall into the same sin.”
2. Your past accomplishments alone will not defeat Satan. Are you ready for battle right now?
3. One defeat is not enough to stop Satan. He tempted Jesus Christ 3 times. He will keep coming back. In our text, if you read on you will find that David and his men had to kill 4 more giants, besides Goliath.
The 2nd thing in your closet that you need to keep clean and organized is…
Your God Given Gifts
When David killed Goliath, he knew where the power and the means of victory came from. He knew his power and strength was a gift given to him from God; but one defeat is not enough to stop Satan.
1. Vulnerable. The Devil is just looking for your weakness and that is when you start doing things in your own strength and not allowing the Spirit of God to lead you. “Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour” (1 Peter 5:8 NLT).
2. Stagnant. The ways you use your gifts may change. David was no longer a great warrior like he had been in the past. Did that mean that he was of no use to God? Of course not. It meant that he was going to have to use his gifts differently.