Summary: Every believer needs to keep the spiritual fire burning in order to prevent spiritual death and rusting out.
KEEPING THE SPIRITUAL FIRE BURNING
Study Text:— Gal 3: 1-3
- The Christian life should not only begin strong, but it should also finish strong .
- How many of you, after beginning the Christian life strong, are in danger of rusting out? 2Ti 4:7: I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
- You are not expected to shine less and less — Pr 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- Negligence is the rust of the soul that corrodes through all her best resolves. RUST ( i.e vices /character failure) Destruction that takes very slow, gradual, imperceptible steps;
- We live in a corrosive world,
- It starts with what look like a fresh coat of paint. They don’t seem significant at the time.
- They may even seem advantageous. If not challenged, the rusty spiritual life begins to pit the metal of our character.
1. Characteristics of a burning believer / Christian (others may, I cannot.)
- Ps 27:4, Daniel 1: 8, He is a single minded man.
- He is man of one ambition, one book, covenant, devotion, endeavor, focus, goal, heart, purpose, one question (Gal 1: 10), one standard, resolution, vision and yearning.
- This is what kept Abraham, Jacob, Paul, Daniel, Enoch, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Elijah, Elisha, and the Apostles burning and going
2. Causes and Subtle signs of spiritual rust.
i). Guilt upon the conscience
- like rust upon iron, both defiles and consumes it, and at last eats out the very heart and substance of the metal.
ii). Bitterness, Malice, guile (deception), hypocrisy and falsehood (which makes you a permanent slave to yourself and Satan, he has no peace),jealousy and envy (unhappy when other are making progress), and all evil speaking (by lying, by slandering, by back-biting) 1Pe 2:1:
iii). Prayerlessness, worldliness, Hosea 7:8-9
iv). Pornography, lust, sensuality
v). Pride Pr 16:18, 21: 4, 6: 16-17—their position, their influence, their beauty, their spiritual gift and talents
v). Self-will, covetousness, idolatry (worshiping men and not God). They have lost the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: (their understanding is darkened (Eph 4: 18)
Subtle signs of spiritual rust —
(a). Following Jesus afar off (Mt.26: 57-58 ) Hosea 7: 8-9 He is supposed to be separate, but he a cake not turned
- There is no checking up, there is sinful relaxation, insensitivity, careless and therefore enemies devour his strength. Gray hair: sign of decay and decline, little liberty, carelessness
(b) 2Tim 4: 10 Separation from and forsaking (a) Godly counsel (b) Godly influence (c) Godly reproves (d) Godly usefulness
(c) Num.11: 16, Hosea 8: 12--- When you find your heart resenting, despising the word of God, spiritual rust has started
(d) Moving with wrong company and permitting little liberty
(e) Loss of any of the fruit of the Spirit and any of the Christian virtues mentioned in the following references of the scriptures (Gal.5: 22-24, 2Pet. 1: 5-9)