Summary: The church needs to be focused on the things of God first.
Introduction: illustration “BECAUSE THE PRINCE HAD COME”
I. What is the Kingdom of God?
A. A Kingdom is a realm, place, or territory ruled by a King.
B. A Kingdom implies a King.
- I Timothy 1:17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
C. God’s Kingdom is not of this world.
1. John 18:36 Jesus answered, My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my Kingdom is not of this world.
2. Kingdom thinking is not worldly thinking.
3. Kingdom answers are not worldly answers.
4. Kingdom perceptions are not worldly perceptions.
II. A Kingdom minded person understands what it means to be part of God’s Kingdom.
- Mat_7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
A. A Kingdom minded person changes one’s allegiance
B. A Kingdom minded person changes one’s expectations
C. A Kingdom minded person changes one’s values
D. A Kingdom minded person changes one’s life mission
E. A Kingdom minded person changes one’s priorities
III. A Kingdom minded person seeks the things of God first.
- (Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.)
A. Maintenance Mode
1. Seeks a self-reliant option first
2. Says “this is the way we have always done it”
3. “Did” is not an attitude of advancement it is an attitude of the status quo
4. Seeks only to preserve tradition
5. Seeks only to exist for another day, month, and or year. Have no vision.
6. Simply keeping the doors open is not a kingdom minded church
7. Life support is the order of the day
B. Missional Mode
1. Requires reliance on God - faith
2. Requires risk taking
a. Taking risks in the Kingdom of God means acting on God’s will prior to seeing the provision for the action.
b. Noah, Elijah, Abraham
c. Mat_21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."
d. James_1:6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.
e. “Nothing great happens when you hold back”
f. Illustration “WE SELL OURSELVES SHORT”
3. Requires corporate prayer
4. Requires Corporate Evangelism
5. Requires unity
IV. A Kingdom minded person knows it’s not about them. (Mark 10:35-45)
- Coming to church is not about what you get out of it but what you give God.
Titus 3:7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Illustration “HEIRS TO THE KINGDOM”
A Kingdom minded person seeks the will of God and has faith in it.