Summary: A soldier needs to know how to use the equipment they have.
• SLIDE #1
• Last week we started to look at the spiritual battles we all seem to deal with on a daily basis. We are all in the midst of some kind of war with the enemy. Some of us do not even realize the magnitude of the battle.
• One of the first things we must know if we are going to be successful in our campaign is we must know our opponent.
• We need to know where to aim our weapons and from whom and what to defend ourselves from.
• We have troops who are stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan who are in the line of fire. They are all trained in how to defend themselves and how to subdue the enemy.
• Each of the soldiers went to basic training before they were sent on to the battle field.
• During basic training the soldiers were taught discipline and how to unconditionally follow orders along with how to work as a team. These things are very important for the successful completion of the mission on which they were sent to do along with their very survival.
• Today in the first of two messages we are going to look at the equipment we have to fight and defend ourselves with.
• Soldiers are taught what equipment is available for them and how to use that equipment to its maximum potential.
• Let’s open up our bibles to Ephesians 6:13-15
• Let’s look at:
• SLIDE #2
I. THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING PROPERLY DRESSED FOR BATTLE (13-14A)
• Last week we learned that we are called to be strong in the Lord. We are to receive our strength for the battle from the Lord. If we receive our strength from the Lord, then why do we need to be dressed and prepared to do battle?
• In verse 11 last week we were told we are to put on the full armor of God so that we could stand firm against the schemes of the devil. This week we will see just how the armor helps us to fight him off.
• Let’s look verse 13.
• SLIDE #3
• Ephesians 6:13 (NASB) 13Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
• We are called to take up the full armor of God so that we will be able to resist the devil in the evil day.
• We are literally told, “Do not let the enemy find you defenseless, take up your armor, do it now without hesitation!” This is a very urgent command!
• Myron Kelly and Eugene Kelly of the Osceola, Arkansas, Police Department were more than brothers in blue, they were brothers in life. That’s why they made a solemn vow to each other that they would -- quote -- "be together until the end." And it’s why Eugene Kelly went along with his brother to serve warrants to a suspect, even though he was off-duty. As they entered the bedroom, the suspect, who was hidden in a closet, fired upon the officers. They were both hit. Eugene Kelly was wearing body armor -- Myron Kelly wasn’t. Eugene Kelly lived -- Myron Kelly didn’t. Today, Eugene continues the fight undaunted. SermonCentral PRO BROTHERS IN BLUE SOURCE: Remarks by Vice President Al Gore, National Peace Officers Memorial Service, Friday, May 15, 1998. http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OVP/speeches/policeme.html