Summary: Knowing God is the most important thing that can take place in life.
INTRO.- ILL.- A Sunday School teacher at Calvary Temple in Compton, CA, once asked her students this question. WHAT DO YOU THINK GOD LOOKS LIKE? Here are the answers the children gave.
- A human being with a heart, feet, eyes like fire, and He shampoos his hair everyday.
- He’s tall, gray hair, yellow skin, and brown sad eyes just like my puppy’s. (I’m sure God is sad at times)
- He’s tall. He looks like my daddy. He wears a jumpsuit on weekends and has a bald head.
- I think God has nice eyes. He wears a very pretty robe, and has a Beatle haircut. (when was this survey taken?)
- He has white hair and His eyes are bloodshot.
- He’s tall, black hair, wears sharp clothing, and a heart necklace. (Hollywood view of God, I suppose)
- He looks like Billy Graham. (I don’t think Billy Graham thinks so, however)
- He looks like Jesus, but I’ll tell you a secret. I’m not sure ‘cause I’ve never seen him. (that’s being honest)
- He’s an old man because of all the years He’s been alive. (I’m sure many people assume this)
- He looks like whatever you want Him to look like. (interesting observation. Some truth to this)
- He’s the picture of health (yeah, I guess so)
- I think He’s an old man with a long, gray beard. And He sits on a throne like a king, and drinks all the Dr. Pepper He wants.
While we may laugh at these various ideas or pictures of what God is like, I think we adults have just as many different and strange views about God.
I think there are several basic views that people have about God.
1- Some view God as “the old man upstairs.”
ILL.- Children touring a retirement home were asked by a resident if they had any questions. "Yes," one girl said. "How old are you?" "I’m 98," she replied proudly.
Clearly impressed, the child’s eyes grew wide with wonder. "Did you start at one?"
Many people view God as being a very old man. He must surely be thousands of years old and this must also mean that he is weak and helpless. His creating days are over. His dividing of the Red Sea days are long gone. He can no longer deliver from the mouths of lions or fiery furnaces. He has no strength or power any more. He is helpless. He isn’t able to do anything in this world any more. He can’t restrain evil and perform miracles any more. WRONG.
2- Others view God as the “great judge in the sky” who can’t wait to send people to hell.
ILL.- SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Never underestimate the power of grandma. A 41-year-old granny in Springfield, Oregon, who stands 5 ft. 5 in. took down a 6 ft. tall teenager who stole the truck she drives to haul her grandchildren. The woman chased down the truck, pulled the driver out and started slapping him. By the time she was finished, he was crying and the truck was back in her possession.
That’s one tough grandma. “A-slap-them-around” kind of grandma. And that’s the view that some people have of God. Perhaps a Judge Judy of sorts. It’s true that He is judge of all mankind but some think of Him as slapping people around and sending them to hell in order to torment them forever and ever. WRONG. This is not God’s great desire.