Summary: “How can I persevere in earnestly contending for the faith?”
Knowing How to Persevere For Christ
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is King, you must persevere in earnestly contending for the faith.
I. Work at knowing the Word of God. v. 17-19
A. Know the commandments of the Word of God.
1. It is essential to know what the apostles taught.
2. It is essential to follow the person of Jesus Christ.
B. Know the warnings of the Word of God.
1. Beware false teachers’ infiltrate the church.
2. Beware false teachers’ follow ungodly passions.
C. Know the enemies of the Word of God.
1. False teachers cause divisions in the church.
2. False teachers are spiritually bankrupt.
II. Work at growing in your faith. v. 20-23
A. Grow by praying in the Holy Ghost.
1. Pray in the power of the Spirit.
2. Pray in the guidance of the Spirit.
B. Grow by carefully maintaining your relationship to God.
1. Live in obedience to the words of Jesus Christ.
2. Live in expectation of the return of Jesus Christ.
C. Grow by being merciful to others.
1. Minister with compassion to the weaker brethren.
2. Minister with compassion to those on the path of destruction.
D. Grow by hating sin.
1. Avoid the most remote contact with sin.
2. Refuse to practice sin of the flesh.