Summary: Knowing the will of God is difficult.
Knowing the will of God
Eccl. 1:2 – Meaningless
Solomon was in sin and out of God’s will.
1. Why do we need to know His will for our lives?
a. Frustrations comes being out of His will
c. Lack of peace
2. God desires and commands us to know the His will.
a. Scriptures of assurance
i. Ps 32:8
ii. James 1:5-6
3. Hindrances to hearing from God and being in His will
a. Looking too much for a long term plan:
i. Needs to be a daily walk.
1. Live for God day to day and you will live in His will for your future.
ii. Sometimes we need to stop looking for a road map and start looking for the next turn.
1. Abraham Gen 12:21
2. Luke 12:16-20 man who built a store house but would lose his life
3. Matthew 6:34 do not worry about tomorrow.
b. Scripture manipulation
i. Interpreting scripture the way you want to
1. Rev. 22:18-19 add to or take away from the word of God
2. In order to do this, you have to override the HG, who is steadily operating in the anointing on the word to speak truth to you. Spirit of truth.
c. Selfish proclamation
i. Wanting God to bless our own selfish desires
1. Lord let it be your will that I date …
2. Lord let it be your will that I get …
ii. This is not seeking God, instead it is an attempt to control Him.
d. Lack of understanding of God’s love
i. Belief that God wants you to be unhappy
ii. Not able to accept that God wants you full of joy
1. Phil 4:4 – rejoice always, rejoice
2. John 15:11 – joy complete
e. Disobedience to Gods already revealed will
i. Not doing what you know to do – James 4:17
ii. Great Commission
iii. Not living according to the scriptures that you know
iv. Why should God show you anything else when you don’t attempt to do what you know to do now, according to His word.
f. Unwillingness to obey what God reveals
i. You could hear but you would not obey
1. Not being ready to do what your are told
4. How to hear from God and be in His will
a. Quit overcomplicating it.
i. Where did I come from Illustration
1. we can make it more difficult than it has to be.
ii. Shift from asking God his will for you to asking how to make right decisions.
1. In all your ways acknowledge Him. Prov. 3:6
iii. Believe that you can be in His Will
1. The key to being in the will of God is WANTING TO BE IN HIS WILL!!
a. If you want to be in His will, you will be in His will.
b. Examine God’s Word for principles of guidelines
i. Adequate intake of God’s Word
1. Ps. 119:105 Lamp unto thy feet
a. Is your lamp 100 wts or 20 wts?
2. 119:11 Hidden word
a. The word will guide you into His will
b. Are you familiar with what the scriptures really say about the issue for which you are seeking guidance?
c. Utilize prayer
i. Do you have a daily prayer time when you seek God’s will and fellowship with him?
1. or does He get the leftovers?
ii. Have you been specific with God about your situation?
1. not about what you want, but about what He wants?
iii. Are you too busy to adequately meditate and wait on him?
1. Psm 46:10 – Be still
d. Acknowledge the work of the Holy Spirit
i. Do you acknowledge the presence of the Holy Ghost with your life?
1. Titus 2:12 - teaches us to say no
ii. Are you filled with the Holy Spirit?
1. John 20:22 Be Filled
e. Utilize the counsel of others
i. Proverbs 15:22 (NIV) Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
ii. Do you consistently fellowship with other Christians and hear God’s Word proclaimed?
1. not just when you need something but consistently
iii. Go to people that will have an opposing view not just people who will tell you what you want to hear.
1. I never learned anything from someone I agreed with all the time.
iv. God to Godly people who produce fruit outside of the church building, not just pew warmers
v. Go to your pastor!
1. He will help you seek God’s will.
2. He has an investment in you.
3. He has charge to watch over you
f. Evaluate yourself
i. Are you tired?
ii. What are your motives?
iii. Have you considered the needs of the world around you?
iv. Have you considered your abilities?