Summary: The power of the believer if he walk in the Spirit. Power against satan.
Known In Hell
“…your adversary the devil…walketh about…seeking whom he may devour…resist,
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
THE SEVENTY RETURNED SAYING
“Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.”
Some PREACHERS master their subjects
Some subjects master the preacher
Once in a while you will meet a preacher who…
Is both master of and mastered by his subject!
PAUL FALLS IN THAT CATEGORY
 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.
THE SCENE IS SET IN EPHUSES:
• It is occurring immediately after Paul has had another great outpouring experience of the
Holy Ghost upon 12 men at in vs. 6
• Prayer cloths were carrying healing to the sick and diseased
• Evil spirits were cast out
This is what we used to call “Ol’ Time Pentecost!”
A group of casual observers begin to see the fruit of pentecostal preaching and the deliverance ministry.
• Reminds me of the day in which we live
• So many traditional and nominal believers are stirred by our music
• The Baptists are raising their hands
• The Methodists are laying on hands
• The Charismatics have developed formulas to move God in whatever direction is most
*These seven sons of Sceva had all the “right” moves These seven had the formula to use the
Name of Jesus They had the education and theological training
1. You can’t throw out your theological terminology or quote Bible verses to demonically
2. Exegesis, homiletics, hermeneutics, canonization, and church history of the Assemblies of
God won’t help in the face of the demonic
3. Memory verses, Speed-the-Light Plaques, fellowship cards, and ordination certificates are
mostly meaningless when you are confronting Hell itself!