Summary: The power of the believer if he walk in the Spirit. Power against satan.
Known In Hell
“…your adversary the devil…walketh about…seeking whom he may devour…resist,
steadfast in faith…: 1 Peter 5:8-9
“Whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shalt be bound in heaven.” Matthew 18:18
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
THE SEVENTY RETURNED SAYING
“Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.”
Some PREACHERS master their subjects
Some subjects master the preacher
Once in a while you will meet a preacher who…
Is both master of and mastered by his subject!
PAUL FALLS IN THAT CATEGORY
Scripture text: Acts 19:13-20
 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.
THE SCENE IS SET IN EPHUSES:
• It is occurring immediately after Paul has had another great outpouring experience of the
Holy Ghost upon 12 men at in vs. 6
• Prayer cloths were carrying healing to the sick and diseased
• Evil spirits were cast out
This is what we used to call “Ol’ Time Pentecost!”
A group of casual observers begin to see the fruit of pentecostal preaching and the deliverance ministry.
• Reminds me of the day in which we live
• So many traditional and nominal believers are stirred by our music
• The Baptists are raising their hands
• The Methodists are laying on hands
• The Charismatics have developed formulas to move God in whatever direction is most
*These seven sons of Sceva had all the “right” moves These seven had the formula to use the
Name of Jesus They had the education and theological training
1. You can’t throw out your theological terminology or quote Bible verses to demonically
2. Exegesis, homiletics, hermeneutics, canonization, and church history of the Assemblies of
God won’t help in the face of the demonic
3. Memory verses, Speed-the-Light Plaques, fellowship cards, and ordination certificates are
mostly meaningless when you are confronting Hell itself!
*One demonized man was a match for seven silly Christian self appointed and anointed
What were the results?
1. The seven were stripped naked
2. They were wounded physically
3. The devils wardrobe grew by seven new designer suits
4. The “pitiful seven” told their powerless tale God turned this unanointed and bloody defeat
into the Glory of God!
The text says:
“…and fear (of the Lord) fell on the Ephesians” “…the Name of the Lord was magnified”
Spooky spiritualists were saved a burning “service” was the natural thing to conduct Jews and Greeks were converted The word of God multiplied and prevailed!
LISTEN TO THE DEMONS TESTIMONY
• 1st – “JESUS I KNOW…” – they had been cast out of the heavenlies
• 2nd – “PAUL I KNOW…” •
3rd – “BUT WHO ARE YOU?”
We know that they knew Jesus:
- creator of all things including the devils
- Son of God
My question is “How did they know Paul?”
-* How had Paul become recognized in the pit of Hell?
-* Had they beaten him time and time again?
- *Had this man’s past followed him?
I. I believe that Paul had tormented Hell so forcefully and so repeatedly that every devil and
minion of the place feared to cross Paul’s path!
GOD AND PAUL WERE INTIMATE.
• Given revelation of Christ on the Damascus road
• Served by angels
• Earthquakes when he sang a hymn
• Fetters fell off a girl at Antioch at his command
• Drained the septic system of immorality at Corinth and built a church out of the most vile
• Snatched souls right under Caesar’s nose…even out of his own family
• Stormed up Mars Hill and demonstrated what he had preached