Summary: lead me to the rock that is higher than I
Psalm 61 lead me to the rock that is higher than I
 The TIME of this Psalm... II Sam.15-18 - During Absalom's rebellion
* A Time of Danger- * A Time of Despair- * A Time of Dependance-
 The TRUTHS of this Psalm...
Absalom, David's favoured son has now become David's fiercest enemy.
 The TESTIMONY of this Psalm...
Regardless of the circumstances; God is faithful
I. THE PRESSURE FACED: 2 " When my heart is overwhelmed "
overwhelmed: denotes a burial shroud, clothed in darkness. - Dying.
1. The SITUATION was Beyond His Control - 2. The STRUGGLE -
3. The SIN - David's House 4. The SINNERS - David's Counsellors
5. The SOLITUDE 6. The SUFFERING 7. The SORROW 8. The SILENCE - Psa.35:22 O LORD: keep not silence: O LORD, be not far from me.
II. THE PRAYER MADE: vs.1-2a
1. The FEELINGS IN Prayer - 2 when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
A. David Felt Defeated by Circumstances
B. David Felt Discouraged by Sin
C. David felt Distanced from Sovereignty..
2. The FOCUS IN Prayer- 1 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
A. David desires the Attention of God..
B. David desires the Assistance of God..
3. The FERVENCY IN Prayer- 1 Hear my cry, O God;
4. The FOUNDATION IN Prayer- 3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
A. The Might of God.. "strong tower"
B. The Mercies of God.. "shelter"
C. The Memories of God.. "hast been" Lam.3:21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. [It is of] the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
5. The FAITH IN Prayer- "trust" - 4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
* Closeness * Covering * Comfort
III. THE PLACE SOUGHT: 2 "to the rock that is higher than I"
1. A HIDDEN PLACE- "lead me" covert... secret
Psa.91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. A HIGH PLACE- "higher than I" rock... cliff refuge safety
3. A HUMBLING PLACE- our inability to withstand on our own!
4. A HOLY PLACE- 4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever:
A. A Place of Favour B. A Place of Fellowship
5. A HEALING PLACE -
Psa. 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD