Summary: The Canaanite mother’s steps to blessing
For all the mothers I know....
Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you’ve had a baby .
Somebody doesn’t know that once you’re a mother, "Normal," is history.
Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct ...
Somebody never took a three-year-old shopping.
Somebody said being a mother is boring .....
Somebody never rode in a car driven by a teenager with a driver’s permit.
Somebody said if you’re a "good" mother, your child will "turn out good."
Somebody thinks a child comes with directions and a guarantee.
Somebody said "good" mothers never raise their voices
Somebody never came out the back door just in time to see her child hit a golf ball through the neighbor’s kitchen window.
Somebody said you don’t need an education to be a mother.
Somebody never helped a fourth grader with her math.
Somebody said a mother can find all the answers to her child-rearing questions in the books ......
Somebody never had a child stuff beans up his nose or in his ears.
Somebody said the hardest part of being a mother is labor and delivery .
Somebody never watched her "baby" get on the bus for the first day of kindergarten.
or on a plane headed for military "boot camp."
Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child gets married ....
Somebody doesn’t know that marriage adds a new son or daughter-in-law to a mother’s heartstrings.
Somebody said a mother’s job is done when her last child leaves home .
Somebody never had grandchildren.
Somebody said your mother knows you love her, so you don’t need to tell her
Somebody isn’t a mother.
- A demon possessed daughter in an impossible situation
- America today is plagued with it’s demons in it’s pursuit of pleasure, possessions, pride and passions
- We need the work of Christ
1. Made Right Choices
Mt 15:22, Mk 7:26
- Mt - “of Canaan”, Mk- “Gk a Syrophenician”
- Canaanites were Merchants & Traders
- It was the son of David she turned to with respect
- Falling at His feet - Mk 7:25
- Not to Greek Philosophy – Know Thyself
- It was based on reason
- Drawn to what she had heard of Him
- Driven by the greatness of her need.
- Her daughter was critically ill.
2. Mastered Discouragement
- How often have you tried and tried again to get an answer and come to a dead end street
- I thought it easy to come out of seminary to be called to a church
- Lots of experience behind me
- Sending out 10 resumes a week
- Only to be turned down for a year
- Here in a matter of min. she was turned down 4 times
- Jesus did not answer her plea - Mt15:23
- Disciples would send her away:-
- Jesus words did not stop her - Mt. 15:24
- Jesus teaching did not discourage her
- Mt. 15:26
- She was courageous against the reasons to give up
- She never gave up she knew Jesus was the answer to her need
- She would not be intimidated by others to her goal
3. Maintained Persistence
“Then she came and worshiped Him, saying,
- Two Prayers - “Have mercy on me” - Mt 15:22 “Lord, help me!" Mt 15:25