Summary: For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Romans 8:14
Led By the Spirit
Griffith Baptist Church – 6/1/08
Text: Romans 8:12-14
Key verse: Romans 8:14 - For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
A lady went to a jeweler to have her watch fixed. He disappeared to the back and soon returned with it running perfectly. Surprised, she asked how he could fix it so soon. He told her it only needed a new battery. Battery? Nobody said anything about a battery. I’ve been winding it every morning!" --A lot of Christians do not realize the inner power of the Holy Spirit to handle things they think they must take into their own hands. - For as many as are led by the Spirit of God
We come to a new “therefore” in verse 12, so we need to look back to the preceding 11 verses.
1. The prominent word is the word “debtors” (12)
2. The act of binding oneself by a social, legal, or moral tie. Opheiletēs (ὀφειλέτης) - one who owes another, a debtor a) one held by some obligation, bound by some duty
3. This is an inescapable debt that can only be paid by a legitimate outside source, Jesus Christ.
4. Notice what has led to this point.
o Verses 2-3 – the law was insufficient to save
o Verse 5 – fleshly people pursue fleshly desires (set their minds)
o Verse 6 – fleshly minds bring death, ultimate and unending
o Verses 7-8 – fleshly minds are antagonistic and disobedient against God
o Verse 9 – flesh controlled people are not saved.
5. On the positive end, those who are truly in Christ and born of the Spirit are:
o Not condemned (1)
o Set free (2)
o Able to fix our minds on the Spirit (6)
o Spiritual life (10)
o New life now and the promise of the life to come (11)
To mind the things of the flesh is to be predominantly controlled by the flesh and to mind the things of the Spirit is to be predominately controlled by the Spirit.
1. According to the Word of God, what leads you is what you are a servant of
2. What you are a servant of is that to which you belong
3. Romans 6:17-23 - 17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 19I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. 20For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. 21What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. 22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Transition Statement: What does it mean to be led by the Spirit?
1. A New Leader (12)
A. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
i. S. I. McMillen, in his book "None of These Diseases," tells a story of a young woman who wanted to go to college, but her heart sank when she read the question on the application blank that asked, "Are you a leader?" Being both honest and conscientious, she wrote, "No," and returned the application, expecting the worst. To her surprise, she received this letter from the college: "Dear Applicant: A study of the application forms reveals that this year our college will have 1,452 new leaders. We are accepting you because we feel it is imperative that they have at least one follower."
ii. Being led by the Spirit does not refer here to service, nor to guidance in particular paths. It refers to the general control by the Holy Spirit of those born of the Holy Spirit, living by the Spirit, in the Spirit.
iii. Are you trying to lead the Spirit?
iv. Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid?
Your heart does the Spirit control?
You can only be blest,
And have peace and sweet rest,
As you yield Him your body and soul.
v. The Holy Spirit should be the one leading us in all things
vi. If we no longer have a legal obligation to the flesh, than that means that we have a legal obligation to something else, or someone else, namely, the Spirit (capital S)