Series: Surprising Things About Hell Dr. Elmer Towns
Lesson 2 May 27, 2012
A. WHY PEOPLE ARE LOST (EVEN THOSE WHO NEVER HEARD THE NAME JESUS CHRIST)
God has shown His anger by sending all unsaved people to hell, who have pushed away God’s truth which was born in them inwardly. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. They can look at the created earth and stars to recognize there is a Creator with great power and personality. So they have no excuses for rejecting God (Rom. 1:18-20, ELT). “God will punish sin wherever it is found, because people have God’s law written in their conscience and it accuses them whenever they do wrong. They know what is right but don’t do it. The day will come when Jesus Christ will judge everyone by their inner thoughts and motives” (Rom. 2:12-16, ELT).
1. Every person is accountable to God.
2. Every person can see the existence of a Creator from God’s creation.
3. They know God has great power from the greatness of creation, and they know that God has knowledge and choice from what He created.
4. Every person is born with a consciousness of right and wrong.
5. They will be judged because they do wrong.
6. Every person is guilty for rejecting God.
7. They will be judged because they do not do right.
B. WHAT JESUS SAID ABOUT HELL – LUKE 19-31
“Jesus said, ‘A rich man was splendidly clothed and lived in luxury and pleasure. Lazarus, a diseased beggar lived next door who only wanted the scraps of food from his table. Lazarus died and was carried to heaven, the rich man died and was buried and his soul went to hell. He saw Abraham in heaven and shouted, ‘I am tormented in this place. Have Lazarus dip his finger in water to come cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’ Abraham said, ‘Remember, in your life-time you had everything . . . but here you are tormented. There is a great uncrossable chasm separating you from heaven. You cannot come here and those in heaven cannot go there.’ The rich man said, ‘Please send someone to warn my five brothers about this place of torment, I don’t want them to come here.’ Abraham answered, ‘They have the Scriptures that warn them of hell.’ The rich man replied, ‘They won’t read the Scriptures, but if someone comes back from the dead to warn them, they will repent’” (Luke 16:19-31).
1. In hell they can see the righteous enjoying the blessings of eternal life and fellowship with God. “He lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off” (16:23).
2. They can remember the lost opportunities in life. “Remember that in your lifetime you received good things, and now you are tormented” (16:25).
3. They have an eternal desire to be released from torment. “Father Abraham, have mercy on me . . . cool my tongue, for I am in torment” (16:24).
4. They regret life lived without God. “Remember . . . you received good things. Now, you are in torment” (16:25).