Summary: Explores the typology of the ark in relation to salvation.
Lesson’s From Noah’s Ark
A grandchild sitting on her grandfather’s lap listening to the Bible story of Noah’s Ark, asked "Were you in the Ark, grandpa?" He chuckled and replied, "Why, no I wasn’t." There was a pause, and the child looked up at him quizzically and asked, "Then why weren’t you drowned?"
Lessons Learned from Noah’s Ark:
1. Don’t miss the boat.
2. Remember that we are all in the same boat.
3. Plan ahead...it wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.
4. Stay fit...when you’re really old, someone may ask you to do something really BIG.
5. Don’t listen to critics...just get on with the job that needs to be done.
6. Build your future on high ground.
7. For safety’s sake, always travel in pairs.
8. Speed isn’t always an advantage...the snails were on board with the cheetahs.
9. When you’re stressed, float awhile.
10. Remember...the ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.
11. No matter the storm, when you are with God, there’s always a rainbow waiting.
I. THE NECESSITY OF THE ARK.
A) Because of the sinfulness of mankind. Vs. 5
1) Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2) There are several times in scripture when the world or a specific place got so sinful that it justified a noting in Scripture.
---Here in Gen 6
---Sodom and Gommorah
---Romans chapter 1
---II Tim 3
B) Because of the Judgment of God.
1) Vs. 6-7
2) Heb 10:31—read together
3) Acts 17:31-32---Many will mock, some will want to hear more, others will decide to follow.
In Noah’s day, some mocked, some probably thought they would wait and if it started raining, they would join him…..8 got on the ark! II Peter 3:3-7
II. THE AVAILABLE ENTRANCE INTO THE ARK. VS. 8
A) Noah found good works to get entrance into the ark? No! He found grace!
B) At least 101 separate verses from Acts to Revelation talk of the grace of God. The word grace is used 170 times in all of the Bible.
C) The word “Grace” means of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues
D) John 3:16—For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
III. THE SAFETY OF THE ARK. Vs 14
A) God told Noah exactly how the ark was to be built….the size, type material, where the window should be located….
B) He had Noah pitch it within and without---tar was used to seal the ark for safety.
Eph 1:13-14 tells us that we are pitched within and without in a sense by the Holy Spirit at salvation.
C) 7:16---God shut the door!
“Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy layden and I will give you rest.”
God offers His grace today---It will not always be offered. I can only imagine the scene outside the ark as the waters began to fill the earth. The fountains of the deep rising, torrential rains falling, many probably tried to get in once the door was shut but it was too late. I plead with you today….don’t realize one day too late that you should have accepted God’s offering of grace