Summary: The movie The Force Awaken is coming this week, but so may Jesus if so we must acknowledge who we are, overcome the dark side or the evil within, do good, bear fruit, and allow the God force (Holy Spirit) to Awaken.
“Let God’s Force Awaken” Luke 3:7-18
• "Along time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..." That’s how the old movie “Star Wars” started out Then there was “The Empire Strikes Back”, the next one would be “Return of the Jedi” now the next sequel is “The Force Awakens”
• Star Wars characters are -- Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia. You'll also see Stormtroopers, X-wing fighters, R2-D2, light sabers and Chewbacca. They'll all be back.
• "The Force is strong in my family," says Luke Skywalker in the trailer for The Force Awakens.
1. If Jesus is coming then we need the God Force to awaken in us, so first thing we must do is acknowledge who we are:
• John acknowledges the people in his day as ‘You brood of vipers! (v. 7). He describes the people as poisonous snakes, quickly slithering away to escape the danger of a fire.
• The only way for them to avoid condemnation is to change their behavior and "bear fruits worthy of repentance"
• When the God force is awakened in us we realize we are a mess we need cleansed
• WE need to be ready to flee from a wrath that is coming. WE flee the wrath by being born again the text says “every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.’
2. Since Jesus is coming then we need to acknowledge who we are but we also need to overcome the evil that is within. And The God Force needs to awaken in us the ability to overcome the evil
• Bill Reidway says “any one of us -- even the best of us -- can give in to fear, anger and hatred if we're not vigilant (watchful, at tentative); those are powerful emotions that can blur our senses and cause us to lose sight of what true goodness is."
3. God force will help us to acknowledge, help us to overcome evil within, but God force will also cause us to do “Good” When the God force awakens in us we will do Good
• Note Goodness doesn't come from being a branch on Abraham's family tree. Instead, goodness comes from doing good. Do not begin to say to yourselves, “We have Abraham as our ancestor”; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.
• John encourages the people to “bear good fruit” Remember the fate of Darth Vader he fell from Grace, but if you recall Vader was not always the evil Vader. No he was Skywalker -- a generous, loyal, compassionate little boy, so powerful in the Force that many thought he was "The Chosen One" of ancient prophecy. He used the Force to do great good as he grew up, fighting for peace and justice while protecting the innocent and opposing the wicked.
• "But Vader lost his way," he became so obsessed with his own passions and fears that they ended up taking over what made him truly human -- his empathy and concern for others. "He stopped caring about individuals,". "He thought of himself as the wisest, the strongest and the purest; and, finally, he allowed his own ambitions to justify truly terrible actions against others.", Darth Vader in the end he failed to bear good fruit. Through his actions he became the evil Darth Vader, and was, himself, cut down and thrown into the fire.
4. When Gods Force awakened in the people of Johns day they said, “What we should do”?
• The crowds ask, "What then should we do?" (v. 10)
• John says when the God force awakens in us “if we have two coats we will share, and whoever has food will do likewise. “vs 11
• When the God Force awakens Tax collectors will collect no more than the proper amount, and soldiers will resist the temptation to extort money from people (vv. 12-14).
• When Gods Force awakens we behave in ways that are fair, just and focused on caring about needy individuals. Being good comes from doing good, not just thinking of yourself as good. We will have acts of justice, care, and compassion.
5. Remember in star wars the force awakens but what is this God Force? Many thought John was the chosen one, but no, John says I must decrease that He may increase.
• "I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire (This is the God Force) . Jesus will keep us on trek.
• Allow the God Force to let you acknowledge who you are, Let the God force within overcome the evil there, lets let the God Force call us, teach us, direct us to do good, Let God be the greatest force in your life.