Summary: There are some famous firsts, I wonder how important God’s first words are?
God’s First Words Genesis 1:1-15
• Neil Armstrong’s first words when steeping on the moon
• "That’s one small step for man one giant leap for mankind."
• Alexander Graham Bell’s first words spoken on the telephone in 1875: "Mr. Watson, come here -- I want to see you."
• Samuel Morse was the first to send a message over a real telegraph line on May 24, 1844. From the old Supreme Court Chamber in the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., Morse sent the first message -- a Bible verse, Numbers 23:23, chosen by Annie Ellsworth, the daughter of a friend -- to his associate, waiting on the other end of the line in Baltimore. The first electronic words were, "What hath God wrought?"
• The first words spoken over a wireless radio were uttered on December 23, 1900, from a station on Cobb Island in the Potomac River by Reginald Aubrey Fessenden: "One, two, three, four. Is it snowing where you are, Mr. Thiesen?"
• The first spoken word that ended the era of silent movies in 1927 was Al Jolson’s clever line in The Jazz Singer"Wait a minute, you ain’t heard nothin’ yet."
1. God’s first words were
• 3And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
2. God claims light is better
• (Eccl 2:13). 13I saw that wisdom is better than folly, just as light is better than darkness.
3. Let there be Light during the hour of Temptations!
• 1 Cor 10:13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
4. Let there be Light when crossing the Horrific Seas of Destruction and the Fires of Adversity
• Isaiah 43:2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. The Hebrew children 3For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
5. Let there be Light in the form of the Cross that reaches as far as the east is to the west and to the north and south
• Isaiah 43 5Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. 6I will say to the north, `Give them up!’ and to the south, `Do not hold them back.’ Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth-- 7everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."
6. There was a great flood in Genesis but God says Let there be Light in Jerusalem at a place called Calvary
7. Yes, there is the seas of destruction but God says let there be light as speaks Peace be Still
8. There is the fires of adversity but God says let there be light that quenches the fiery darts of the evil one
9. Thou are sins be as stained as a murderer God says let there be the light of forgiveness found on an old rugged cross
• 18Isaiah says, "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.