Summary: A fabulous message by Jon Earls pointing out 4 characteristics of God's gift that we can emulate as we go out looking for gifts for others. God gave us the unspeakable gift of Jesus!
LET’S GO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!
2 Cor. 9:15
1. A teacher decided to ask her students what their Christmas traditions were. “What traditions does your family do at Christmas?”
2. The first student was a Catholic girl; “On Christmas Eve we go to Church, say our prayers with the rosary, and take the Mass and sing a hymn.”
3. The second student was a protestant boy; “We open presents early on Christmas morning and then go to church and hear a sermon on Christ’s birth.”
4. The third student was a Jew, so the teacher hesitated, but finally said, “And what do you do on Christmas morning?” The Jewish boy said, “We all get in our Mercedes-Benz and drive to my dad’s toy factory. We go into the big empty warehouse, get in a circle and sing, ‘What a friend we have in Jesus!’” (I got this from a Jewish website)
2 Cor. 9:15, “Thanks be unto God for His Unspeakable gift!”
1. The tradition of gift giving dates back to the Wisemen bringing gifts to the Christ-child in the manger. We all know how they brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
2. Three small boys were in a Christmas play at their school. They represented the three wise men and they were to give their gifts to baby Jesus. The one boy stepped forward, held out his hands and said, “Gold”. When he stepped back, the second boy stepped forward and said, “Myrrh”. When the third boy stepped forward, held out his hands and said, “Frank sent this.”
3. As we go about shopping for Christmas gifts this year, I want to suggest we take a tip from God. God knows how to give good gifts.
4. James 1:17, “17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning” (NKJV).
5. He’s given us many good gifts – health, prosperity, freedom, families, etc.
6. But when God decided to give us His best gift, He gave us Jesus Christ!
7. So, as we go shopping, we can take a tip from God on what makes the best kind of gift we can give.
8. The title of this message is, “Let’s Go Christmas Shopping.” 4 Characteristics of God’s Best Gift.
9. This morning I want to help you with your Christmas shopping and I want to talk to you about God’s great Christmas gift to us.
10. If you are looking for the perfect gift for that “someone special” make sure you buy a…
a. Personal Gift;
b. Practical Gift;
c. Permanent Gift; and a
d. Purchased Gift.
I. A PERSONAL GIFT
A. WHEN WE SHOP
1. When we shop our gift should be a personal gift. We are not shopping for ourselves. When I go to Wal-mart, I go to the hunting section or electronics to get some gadget for my computer.
2. But my wife would not appreciate it if I got her a new set of broad-heads. That just does not interest her. She may want clothes, but she does not want a new camouflage suit. 3. You see, you must buy the person you are shopping for a personal gift. A gift that fits the person you are shopping for.