Summary: This week we’re starting a series called, “Let’s Talk About! We’re going to consider different hot-topic issues that you face in your life, from sex and dating to life, the universe, and everything!
LET’S TALK ABOUT #1: THE MEDIA
LET’S TALK ABOUT! This week we’re starting a series called, “Let’s Talk About!” We’re going to consider different hot-topic questions and issues that you face in your life, including everything from sex and dating to life, the universe, and everything!
KEY TEXT: “His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue.” (2 Peter 1:3).
OPENING: Story of the weekend I got saved – went to the Christian bookstore, got a Bible, Christian books, Christian music (Petra, Acapella, etc).
• Talk about personal journey of secular music to Christian to worship, etc. and the change in Christian music styles from ‘then’ to ‘now.’
LET’S TALK ABOUT QUESTION:
What does the Bible have to say – if anything – about what kind of movies & TV shows Christians should watch, and what kind of music they should listen to?
DIFFERENT PHILOSOPHIES ABOUT THE MEDIA:
1. Christians shouldn’t listen to ANY secular music or watch movies (except for G rated Disney ones, and even some of them are suspect!)
2. Anything goes – “It doesn’t affect me.” I don’t listen to the words, etc.
- Both of these philosophies are extreme.
What does the Bible have to say about the media?
• Media defined: the means of communication, as radio, television, newspapers, magazines and internet, that reach or influence people widely.
• By its very definition, media is something designed to influence people!
• So, to say that media doesn’t influence you is nonsensical!
• Now, it is true that there are NO Bible verses that say, “Christians shalt not listen to secular music or watch R rated movies.”
• However – there are principles we can use to determine God’s will:
“Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.” (Prov. 4:23).
“But evil words come from an evil heart and defile the person who says them. For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all other sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. These are what defile you.” (Matt. 15:18-20a).
“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Cor. 10:31).
”I can do anything I want to if Christ has not said no, but some of these things aren’t good for me. Even if I am allowed to do them, I’ll refuse to if I think they might get such a grip on me that I can’t easily stop when I want to.” (1 Cor. 6:12, TLB).
“A fool finds pleasure in evil conduct, but a man of understanding delights in wisdom.” (Prov. 10:23).
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.” (Phil. 4:8).
EIGHT THOUGHTS ON MEDIA CHOICES:
1. As God’s children we are given great freedom. We are given freedom to have fun and be entertained, but we must still be responsible in our choices.
2. The media doesn’t affect your salvation, but it can affect your effectiveness in ministry. The more you consecrate yourself to the Lord, the more anointing!