Summary: Let’s Wake Up to a Contagious Style – 1 Thessalonians chapter 1 verses 1-10 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). Thanking and Remembering (vs 2-3):
• (a). Work produced by faith (vs 3a).
• (b). Labour prompted by love (vs 3b).
• (c). Endurance inspired by hope (vs 3c).
(2). Evangelizing and Affirming (vs 4-8):
• (a). Words (vs 5 & 8).
• (b). Deeds (vs 5b).
• (c). Signs (vs 5c).
(3). Reporting (vs 9-10).
• (a). They looked to God (vs 9b).
• (b). They looked to the fields (vs 9c).
• (c). They looked for Jesus (vs 10).
• A true story is told of a nursery school that had about 20 or 30 toddlers,
• The school was well run but they had a problem,
• They could not get these little children to eat their dinner.
• They tried just about everything;
• All the usual tricks.
• i.e. The food on the spoon pretending it’s an aeroplane and they have to open their mouths for it to land. But often they close their mouths and you get a crash landing!
• i.e. They had plates with pictures on, and they encouraged the kids to eat up their food;
• So that they could see the pictures on their plates.
• Whatever trick the teachers tried, it failed!
• The children would not eat their food.
• And every meal time nearly all the food was thrown away.
• Until one day, a little boy called Timothy came,
• Now Timothy was only very small and very quiet,
• And no-one took much notice of him until dinnertime.
• At dinnertime when the put his plate of food in front of him,
• Timothy grabbed his spoon and in about 30 seconds he had scoffed the lot.
• He then look round and saw that the little girl sitting next to him had not started hers,
• So without saying a word he grabbed her dish and ate that as well!
• Timothy then looked up at another boy sitting opposite him,
• He had not touched his dinner;
• So Timothy reached over the table and started eating that one as well.
The next day exactly the same thing happened again:
• By the third day the girl next to Timothy,
• Thought, “He’s not gonna have my dinner”, and she started to eat it.
• So did the person the other side of Timothy.
• Frustrated Timothy had to get up and walk round the table;
• To grab some ones untouched food.
• And by the end of the week:
• All the children on that table was eating their dinner as fast as they could.
So, the teachers, realised that they had a winner here:
• And they moved Timothy to another table:
• And once again the same thing happened.
• And within weeks all the children were eating their dinners in that school.
• And this is perfectly true;
• They even borrowed little Timothy to another school!
• And the local authorities published a pamphlet about him,
• The solution to the problem of children not eating is a Timothy!
• TRANSITION: Timothy was enthusiastic, he was contagious;
• And he infected others with that enthusiasm!
• The first letter to the Thessalonians shows a contagious Church;
• Or we could say it was, “A Church with the right stuff!”
• A husband came down to breakfast and was delighted to hear his wife say;
• "Darling you are a model husband'.
• Now he was so flattered by the remark;
• That latter on that day he decided to look up the meaning of the word in his Oxford dictionary.
• He found the page and began reading:
• "Model, a small plastic imitation of the real thing".
• Tough Question: Too many Churches are: “Small imitations of the real thing?”
• So this morning we are going to look at ‘the real deal’,
• That is “A Church with the right stuff!”
When Paul described these Christians and this Church (verse 5) he said concerning it:
• "You became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia".
• That is high praise indeed, of no other Church does Paul write and say;
• "You are a model to the other Churches "
• Or Curley translation “A Church with the right stuff!”
• In fact on four occasions in this letter;
• Paul gave thanks to God for this Church,
• No moaning, no fault-finding but genuine thankfulness:
• Chapter 1 verse 2, chapter 2 verse 13, chapter 3 verse 9, chapter 5 verse 18)
• I am not going into any detail regarding the location of the Church;
• Or when the Church was founded etc.
• You can do that for yourself at home,