Summary: Rise & Shine: A Wake Up Call: Let’s Wake Up to our Purpose – 1 Corinthians chapter 10 verse 31 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
Question: What do we exist as a Church and as individuals?
Answer: For the glory of God.
Question: How can we glorify God?
• (1st). You glorify God by who and what you are.
• (2nd). You glorify God by what you do, Your conduct:
Some questions to think about this New year:
• Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
• Why is a boxing ring square?
• Why is it considered necessary to nail down the lid of a coffin?
• Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?
• Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?
• Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?
• Why is the word dictionary in the dictionary?
• Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?
• Why are they called apartments, when they’re all stuck together?
• What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?
• Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?
• Can fat people go skinny-dipping?
• Why is that - If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
• What fool came up with, "Quit while you’re ahead"?
"It is said that the classical Greek philosopher Socrates was wise,
Not because he knew the right answers,
But because he knew how to ask the right questions".
• And there is nothing like a well phrased question:
• To reveal a motive.
• Or to bring to the surface something that has been hidden.
• TRANSITION: Of all questions we ask:
• None goes to the heart of an issue faster than ‘WHY’.
• That word "Why" has a way of tearing through the superficial husk of the matter,
• And getting right down to the seed.
• And we see this illustrated for us throughout the Bible:
• i.e. God asked Cain: "Why are you angry?"
• i.e. The Lord asked Abraham: "Why did Sarah laugh?"
• i.e. Moses asked himself: "Why does the bush not burn up?"
• i.e. Nathan asked David: "Why have you despised the word of the Lord?"
• i.e. Job asked God: "Why did I not die at birth?"
And when you turn to the New Testament, the ‘WHY’ question seems to be Jesus' favourite:
• i.e. "Why are you anxious?"
• i.e. "Why do you look at the speck in your brothers eye and not the log in your own eye?"
• i.e. "Why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not ......say?"
• i.e. "Why do you not believe me?"
• i.e. "Why have you forsaken me?"
• TRANSITION: Of all questions we ask:
• ‘WHY’ has a way of tearing through the superficial husk of a matter,
• And getting right down to the cob.
As we start a brand new year we are going to ask the question ‘WHY’?
• “Why has the Church been called into existence?”
• "Why are we here?"
• "Why do we meet week by week?"
• “Why do we do the things that we do?”
• If you had been stopped at the door and asked the question on your way in;
• “Why does Duncan Road Church exist?”
• What would your answer be?
I think we might get a variety of responses:
• i.e. To share the good news of Jesus with the lost.
• i.e. To support the work of mission both locally and around the world.
• i.e. To bring hope to the hurting.
• i.e. To be a lighthouse in the community.
• i.e. To collectively worship God.
• i.e. To equip God’s people for daily living and service.
• i.e. To pray together.
• i.e. To hear from God though the public preaching of his word
• TRANSITION: All those are valid;
• And worthwhile reasons that the Church should and must be involved in!
• But let me suggest to you that not one of those reasons is absolutely primary!
• None of those reasons state the foundational purpose for the Churches existence.
• And at the start of a brand new year;
• It is good to remind ourselves of our number one objective!
• Think of it as a an alarm that wakes us up to our purpose.
• Some folks are good at getting up in the morning and some of us are not!
• Quote: “If people were meant to pop out of bed, we’d all sleep in toasters.”
• Quote: “I’d like mornings better if they started later. “
• Quote: “Sometimes I wake up grumpy and other times she is woken up by the alarm!”
• Now if you have trouble waking up let me recommend a good alarm clock.
• Fun photos from creative alarm clocks: