Summary: We Christians face an immoral society with alternate lifestyles. How are parents to explain to their children the lifestyles of these people and how we should treat them? Despite our stand for godliness, we must still demonstrate the grace and love of Jesus Christ to those still lost in sin.
LGBTQ – A CHRISTIAN RESPONSE
A. HUMOR: FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS
1. The village blacksmith finally found an apprentice willing to work long, hard hours. The blacksmith instructed the boy, “When I take the horse shoe out of the fire, I’ll lay it on the anvil. And when I nod my head, you hit it with this hammer.”
2. The apprentice did just what he was told. Now he’s the village blacksmith.
B. THESIS & TITLE
1. We are Christians and have a Biblical worldview. In this country we are faced with a very immoral society which is trying to alter the boundaries and definitions of morality and what a family is.
2. Our children are also faced with these contradictions. It’s hard for parents to explain to their children the lifestyles of these people and how we should treat them.
3. So a simple groundwork of Biblical pattern should be laid before them, followed by the Christian response Jesus would have us give to those involved with such deviant practices. That is the purpose of this message.
4. The title of this message is: “LGBTQ – A Christian Response.”
I. GOD’S CREATED ORDER
1. Have you ever been outside at night and looked at the vast expanse of stars? You can even see a big part of the Milky Way Galaxy our planet lives in. There are laws of Physics, that God set in place, that govern the universe.
2. Then you look at the tiny creatures moving along the ground. Mankind didn’t make any of it. It was all here when we arrived. All biological life has a design to it; creation is designed by a vast intelligence. It’s orderly and complex. Those two things are not the result of chance, but the results of an Engineer.
3. The way God designed things is the way He intends for them to work. Paul termed altering God’s design as going “against nature” (Rom. 1:26, KJV).
II. GENDER ASSIGNMENT
1. God, in the beginning, made humans male and female. The Lord Jesus said, “Haven’t you read that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female?’” (Matt. 19:4). This distinction is more than surface; it’s defined in the genes (DNA).
2. Those who are males are designed to be husbands and fathers to children. Females are designed to be wives and mothers. God intends for us to accept our assignment in life. And God doesn’t make mistakes.
III. GENDER CONFUSION (dysphoria)
1. Less than 1% of people, often in adolescence, experience gender confusion. Paul R. McHugh, M.D., Former Johns Hopkins Hospital psychiatrist-in-chief says that 'Gender confusion' is a temporary mental disorder. If left alone, 70%-80% of children who reported transgender feelings spontaneously lost those feelings later (Vanderbilt University and London's Portman Clinic).
2. A 30-year Swedish study showed that 10 years after “gender reassignment surgery,” a sizable % of patients began having mental problems and their suicide rate went up 20-fold.
3. God does not want men to act like women or women like men (Deut. 22:5). He wants us to be distinctly different.
1. MARRIAGE is intended to be the life-time union between one man and one woman (it takes 22 years to raise kids to adulthood), and sex in this type relationship is the only type of sex sanctioned by God.
2. Only through the man-woman union can children be produced; this is God’s unchangeable design. Sex between two men or between two women is a perversion and is considered as sinful, just as is adultery or premarital sex (Romans 1:18–32; 1 Corinthians 6:9–10; 1 Timothy 1:10; Genesis 19:4-5).
3. Romans 1:24–27; “Therefore God gave them over [stopped hindering them] in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another….God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.”
V. HUMAN IMMORAL LAWS
1. God, as the Creator and Designer, both in nature and in His revelation (the Bible), outlines right and wrong and the terrible repercussions of disobeying His laws.
2. Humans sometimes write laws that contradict God’s moral laws. Examples of this are:
a. Abortion, b. No-Fault Divorce,
c. Alcohol/Tobacco/Drug Abuse,
d. Prostitution, e. Euthanasia,
f. Pornography, and g. Sex outside Biblical Marriage.
GOD’S LAWS GOV’TS LAWS
[Here I had 2 overlapping circles. Man's laws sometimes differ from God's Laws.]
3. POINT: JUST BECAUSE A GOVERNMENT LEGALIZES SOMETHING DOESN’T MEAN IT’S MORALLY RIGHT! It’s what God thinks about it that really matters. Some laws are immoral and wrong in God’s sight, and wrong behavior, if not repented of, will be judged at the Judgment Seat of God.