Summary: God has provided us new tools for our new life; and these are essential to our Christian walk.
In life, there are certain physical things that we need to survive. These things include but are not limited to food, water, clothing and shelter. There things we need, however, to help us survive emotionally as well. Some of these things include but are not limited to love, security, a sense of self-worth and a sense of belonging. If a person is to survive spiritually in the next life and this one as well there are also life essentials needed. These needs center around a person’s faith in Christ as their personal Savior. When a person comes to Christ, believing in Him as the Son of God died for His sins, was buried and rose again, that a person becomes a new creature according to II Corinthians 5:17. This person who is new in Christ has all the essentials for making it in this life and the next.
• In Romans 5:1-9 there is a list of life essentials that are given to us when we trust Christ as Savior
• Pauls tells us in the passage that when we get a nice list of benefits when we show faith and trust in Jesus Christ
• They are all included in our one decision to accept Christ as Savior. Each of these things are essential to life and allows us to live a productive spiritual life
• Romans chapter 4:1-3 tells of one of the greatest men who ever lived, Abraham, and the Jewish people considered him the greatest of all men
• Many Jews thought/think that he earned his way into heaven, but Paul makes it very clear that he had a ‘right’ relationship with God because of his faith
• Romans 4:3: “For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.”
• Romans 4:20-21: “He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.”
• Because of the faith which gives eternal life, we look at the life essentials found in Romans 5:1-9; They Are:
o PEACE (VS 1)
o POSITION (VS 2)
o PROGRESS (VS 3-5)
o PARDON (VS 6-9)
1. PEACE (VS 1)
• The end of WWII was time like no other in history, a sort of Utopia, utter celebration and the joy of the hearts of all Americans ran rich with pride and rejoicing
• Why the celebration? Because the World was no longer at war, men and women of the armed services were no longer in harms way, families were reunited and the world could finally move forward from this devastating time
• Too often, we forget that before salvation we are considered the enemies of God
• Ephesians 2:2-3: “Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.”
• James 4:4: “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.”
• A person without Christ is the enemy of God
• But what happens when a change occurs and a person puts their trust in Christ? On the cross, Jesus endured the wrath of God’s punishment for sin The terrible punishment you deserve was taken by Jesus on the cross.
• Faith in what He has done, means there is now peace with God for you for the future
• Once saved, we are no longer the enemies of God, the price for sin has been paid, God is now a friend instead of our enemy
• Colossians 1:20-22: “And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:”
• Whether you were saved recently or many years ago, God is not your enemy. He has become our friend.
• When WWII ended it took a while for the news to transcend the oceans of the world, but when we turn to Christ the war is over immediately
• John 1:12-13: “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”