Summary: Life is not disrupted by interruptions, interruptions are a part of life.
LIFE: INTERRUPTED Luke 7:11-17
Interruptions. I don’t know anyone who likes them, but they are a part of our every day life. They come from other people, phone calls, even noises can interrupt our thinking.. One of the rules we learn as a child is to not interrupt adults in conversation. Sometimes a health diagnosis can interrupt our daily lives or some other significant event. Our text tonight is a story of an interruption that leads to a blessing.
Luke 7:11-17. Jesus comes across a funeral. Only son of a widow - left her without much hope. Her heart broken, her future suddenly dim, and her tears falling. Jesus interrupts this significantly sad time and creates an opportunity for God to work in an amazing way. How can we recognize the God-sent interruptions in our daily walk? Some come in the form of interruptions, some as a result of natural interruptions. We can learn something from this account.
1. When Life Interrupts Jesus Can Bring About Reversal
Everyone faces tragedies at some time or another - and they are all different. Disease, Job Loss, Financial Ruin, Loss of a loved one. We can experience loss as a nation or even as a global community.
Reversal - as in this case - He can bring about reversal, healing, health, a new job. (1 Kings 17:17-24) We know the Lord does not always work in this way, but he has been known to interrupt tragedy - even by the resurrection of Jesus!
2. When Life Interrupts Jesus Can Bring About Revision.
Revision - He can help us revise our expectations in life and deal with the tragedy that has happened. Whatever kind of interruption we have faced in our life, we will learn to think about things differently than we ever have before. Jesus May bring about Revision Through…
- The Scriptures - we begin to identify with Scriptures we previously did not notice!
- People - we see how other people have faced interruptions and how they have handled them … we learn from them both in good and bad ways!
- Prayer - our prayers are revised when faced with a life interruption …
Apostle Paul’s Spiritual Fervor was Revised and Redirected! (Galatians 1:13-24)
3. When Life Interrupts Jesus Can Bring About Renewal.
He can give us the strength to carry on through the interruptions of life. We learn to depend on God and to trust Him more when we realize that we cannot always control the paths of life we must walk. We love ‘come back’ stories of people who were at the bottom but managed with God’s help to climb back to the top. Dave Ramsey is a financial guru today to millions, but he walked through bankruptcy to get there.
Psalm 30:5, 11 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night,but rejoicing comes in the morning. … You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.
1. “The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's 'own,' or 'real' life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life -- the life God is sending one day by day.” ― C.S. Lewis