Summary: Jesus said, "And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me” (v. 1).
1. Jesus is concerned about your mental troubles, because unbelief is their source.
2. The primary source of our trouble is our heart, it is our personality, i.e.,
3. Our primary instinct and obligation is “belief in God.”
a. Believe He exists.
b. Believe He created us (Rom. 1:18-21).
c. Believe in right and wrong (Rom. 2:15-16).
4. Salvation demands we believe in Jesus (John 14:6).
“In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know” (vv. 2-4).
5. There are enough “mansions” in heaven for all who believe.
6. Because Jesus is truth (v. 6), He would not have promised us a place in heaven if:
a. It was not true.
b. There wasn’t space.
c. We didn’t know the way.
d. We could not go there.
7. Just as Jesus provides salvation, He will prepare a “mansion” in heaven.
8. If He went to prepare a place, He will come again for us.
9. When will Jesus come again?
a. Come back in post-resurrection ministry.
b. Come back in salvation.
c. Come back at our death.
d. Come back in rapture.
e. Come back in answered prayer.
10. We can be confident of Jesus’ presence, “to myself.”
11. The important thing about heaven is our future relationship with Jesus.
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me’” (v. 6).
12. The way to heaven is by a relationship to Jesus.
a. Not correct doctrine.
b. Not church ordination.
c. Not good works.
d. Not sincerity.
13. The way of Jesus is narrow, not broad. “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it” (Matt. 7:13-14).
14. We can have confidence in the “TRUTH” of Jesus. Truth is that which is consistent with itself, and corresponds to the laws of nature.
15. There are two aspects to Jesus’ life:
a. Length, eternal without end.
b. Quality, life more abundant (John 10:10).
a. Is there another way to heaven apart from Jesus? No!
b. Will God give a second chance after death? No!
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com