Summary: The sermon tells us that though the end maybe near one should lift up your head, keep calm, carry on, and finish hoeing.
Luke 21 :25-36 Lift Up Your Heads, Keep Calm, Carry ON, and Finish Hoeing
1. According to many Scholars this reading falls under two parts:
A. The first part concerns the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem
(vv. 8-24), B. Second part concerns the signs and chaos engulfing the entire world
(vv. 25- 36).
2. The End is creeping closer and Closer Jesus makes remarks about there will be signs so Lift Up Your Heads
25"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. . 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
3. Jesus says, When you see these things "Lift Up Your Heads"
A. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because
Your redemption is drawing near."
B. Why Does Jesus says lift up your Heads? Because he is on his
way to earth to Redeem it
• Paul says to the Romans 11:26 Do not be ignorant my brethren "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. 27And this isF my covenant with them when I take away their sins."
C. Another reason he says Lift Up Your Head is He is on his Way to Earth to Reign over it (Earth)
• Lift your Head I will reign over sadness Isaiah says 65:19the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.
• Lift up your heads I will reign over what death does Isaiah 65:20 20"Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years;
• Lift up your heads I will reign over creation that is in process of decay .
Paul says Romans 8:20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21thatI the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. 22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the
pains of childbirth right up to the present time
4. At The Start of World War II the British came up with a slogan that was posted all over Europe It said, "Keep Calm And Carry ON"
A. Jesus says, Lift Up Your Heads Keep Calm you know it coming
• 29He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
• Jesus says Keep Calm what is coming is Good, For in my Father’s house are many mansions
• It is Good because you will have an heavenly rest
• It is good you will taste and see God is Good
• It is good you will have eternal life where the soul never dies
5. Lift Up Your Heads, Keep Calm, Carry on
A. Jesus says Carry On continue making Disciples for the Transformation of the World
B. Carry on searching for the one lost sheep that got away