Summary: Last week with looked at what it would take to live a life pleasing to or towards God. What we discovered was that this life was accomplished through sanctification and pursuing God’s desires. The foundation for accomplishing this was to value our worth
LIVING A LIFE SUCCESSFUL FOR GOD
1 Thess 4:9-12
INTRODUCTION: Last week with looked at what it would take to live a life pleasing to or towards God. What we discovered was that this life was accomplished through sanctification and pursuing God’s desires. The foundation for accomplishing this was to value our worth. This week, I want to step out a little further regarding our living for God and now look at what the Scripture has to say about living a life that is successful and productive in God’s eyes. As always, God’s will is not difficult to understand or engage, but is often difficult to see because we have inadvertently, or even deliberately put hindrances up that blur our view of God. So, lets take a look at God’s Word together!
I THE FOUNDATION FOR A SUCCESSFUL LIFE: LOVE
1 Thessalonians 4:9-10 Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more.
A. GOD HIMSELF TEACHES LOVE.
1. We can teach ourselves many things
2. God is the source for education on love
3. Brotherly love is the biblical love that;
a. that binds each other together as a family.
b. that binds each in an unbreakable union.
c. that holds each other deeply within the heart.
d. that knows deep affection for each other.
e. that nourishes and nurtures each other.
f. that shows concern and looks after the welfare of each other.
g. that joins hands with each other in a common purpose
B. THE CHURCH SHOWS GREAT LOVE—TO BROTHERS
1. This is one of the functions of believers as individuals, and the church as an organism
2. A universal individual application is also a universal corporate application
3. Believer, family, or church – love is the identifying mark
How many of you have ever gone out to dinner, and bowed your head to give thanks, and then been noticed in one fashion of another. From a quiet comment to having your bill paid? Your actions IDENTIFIED you as a believer. Prayer and blessing identify us as believers and LOVE identifies us as believers
C. THE NEED: TO GROW MORE.
1. One of the benefits of spiritual growth is the development of biblical habits and qualities
2. A second benefit is consistency regarding the developing habits and talents
3. A third benefit is persistence regarding these developing talents and habits
II THE RULES FOR A SUCCESSFUL LIFE
1 Thessalonians 4:11 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you,
A. BE AMBITIOUS—TO BE QUIET.
1. Ambitious means to strive
2. The word quiet means to be settled, undisturbed; less frantic
a. Settled has a sense of comfort
b. Comfort comes from security
c. Comfort comes from acceptance
d. Comfort comes from familiarity
A quiet life comes from my comfort with God. Have I experienced God enough to be secure in Him?
Have I experienced God to both accept Him and realize that He accepts me?
Have I experienced God enough to be familiar with Him and His nature?