Summary: First part of a series of sermons dealing with faith, hope, and love.
A. Explain Series
1. 1 Corinthians 13:13 – And now these three remain:
faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these
2. Over the next couple of weeks we are going to be
talking about each one of these three virtues. We
are going to try to increase your faith, give you
a better hope, and enrich your love for one
3. Why are we doing this?
a. Because these are the basics, these are what
are beliefs are made of. Sometimes we tend to
stray away from the basics. When we study
scripture, we make it to difficult and look for
a deep theological meaning when in all reality,
all we need is to accept it unconditionally and
have the faith of a child.
4. Today I want to talk to you about Faith. What it
means to have faith and to live by faith. We are
going to discuss three main things today: we are
going to talk about the kind of faith you need to
enter the kingdom of heaven, we are going to give
you some examples of Faithful Servants, and we are
going to discuss ways to Strengthen Your Faith
B. Faith of a Child
1. Illustration of Sally giving all her money to a
doctor to save her little brother.
2. The faith of a child, what a wonderful thing.
a. In Matthew 18:2-4 – He called a little child
and had him stand among them. And he said: “I
tell you the truth, unless you change and become
like little children, you will never enter the
kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles
himself like this child is the greatest in the
kingdom of heaven.
3. Why does Jesus say this?
a. Let’s think about that for a minute and I want
you to think back to your childhood days.
b. When you are a kid, you have no worries.
1. You don’t have to worry about where your next
meal is coming from.
2. You don’t have to worry about paying bills,
loans, or car insurance.
3. You just don’t have the worries of this world.
4. Really the only thing that you worry about is
being able to get hoime from school in time to
play outside before it gets to dark.
4. You have no worries because you know you are
being taken care of by your parents, your mother
and your father.
a. You know that if you break the rules that you
will get punished.
b. You know that if you obey the rules then you
will be rewarded.
c. You know that your parents will do everything
they can to protect you b/c they love you
5. In the faith of a child:
a. They accept what their father tells them b/c
they know that he loves them unconditionally and
would never hurt them.
b. They have not experienced right or wrong yet so
they just accept the teaching b/c they trust
6. Do you see where I am going with this?
a. Do you see why Jesus wants us to be like
b. Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is being sure of what
we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
7. Jesus wants us to have this kind of faith, the
faith of a child, so that we will be able to
accept Him unconditionally. He wants us to believe
in that which we cannot see and to be certain of
what we hope for.
C. Examples of Faithful Servants
2. Hebrews Ch.11 is known as God’s Hall of Fame.