Summary: A Christian's purpose for living should flow from a new nature, reminding us to always filter life through heavenly lenses.
Introduction: Our journey through the book of Colossians.
• The Apostle Paul has made a perfect case to the church in Colosse, why Jesus Christ is preeminent above all. He has dealt
with faith, doctrine, and salvation. In chapter 2 Paul addressed the enemy that was attacking the church, but encouraged the
saints to hold tightly to Christ, for He was their ally who would never let them down.
• Today, we will enter chapter 3. Chapter three and four deals with the application of chapters 1 & 2. It is one thing to say
Christ is #1 in my life, it is another to live that fact out in plain view. The last session is where the “rubber meets the road” in
the Christian life.
• Chapters 3 & 4 will encourage the believers to stand on the truth that Jesus Christ is all I need to live for, period! It is in
verses 1-4 that Paul begins to lay out what a Christians’ true purpose is in this world. Have you lost sight of your purpose?
Why are you here, on earth this morning? Ill: Dan Janson’s father’s advice, "Son, life is more than skating in circles."
Proposition: A Christian’s purpose for living should flow from a new nature, reminding us to always filter life through heavenly lenses.
III. Christ is All I Need to Live For. (key 3:17)
A. Living Life With Real Purpose
1. You have a new position. (3:1a,3-4)
• “if” is conditional; the following cannot be said of you if you are not saved (raised in Christ). “If any man be in
Christ he is a new creation…”
a. You are a dead man walking. “For you died”
• This is a past event; but it is an identification marker.
b. You are a new man hiding. “and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”
• The word hidden speaks of our present.
• Hidden refers to three things: First, eternally security and protected. Hymn “He hidden my soul in the
cleft of the rocks….” Second, hidden from the world’s understanding; it does not make sense to the
world. Remember Jesus, “He came unto His own and His own did not even recognize Him.” Third,
believers share a common spiritual life with the Holy Trinity.
• Ill: When a man hires an attorney, he “hides” behind the attorney. The attorney will speak on behalf of
the man and his family.
c. You are a living man shining. “raised in Christ….who is your life…
• (3:1) raised means “co-resurrection”. I died with Christ, and I am raised by His power.
• (3:4) Our new life is not made by our own strength. Eternal life is not a mysterious substance that God
sprinkles on us. Eternal life is Jesus Christ. 1 John 5:12 – “He that hath the Son hath life….”
• Paul also includes a Christian’s hope of a glorious future with Jesus Christ. A Christian’s only reason for
living is because of Jesus Christ. We will stand with Him on day in his glory, and for His glory.
d. Application: Don’t forget your new position; great responsibility, but we do not stand in our own strength to live