Summary: There might be people around us who come against us as we attempt to live a righteous life in an unrighteous world!
OPEN BIBLES TO Daniel 6 & 2 Timothy 2:13
1. Right or Wrong? Good or Bad? (CHOICES)
2. Faithfulness OR Faithlessness. It’s really an easy choice.
a. We choose FAITHFULNESS. We choose to FOLLOW God.
b. We choose to not FALL away, BUT TO STAND STRONG.
c. We choose to not DRIFT away, BUT TO STEADY ON!
d. To not TURN away BUT TO SEEK HIS FACE CONTINUALLY!
Psalm 27.7-8 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When You said, "Seek My face," My heart said to You, "Your face, LORD, I will seek."
3. Faithfulness or Faithlessness. It’s really an easy choice.
NOW it’s that very choice that often stumbles us. A trial here. Some tribulation there. A little laziness. A dose of lethargy.
• Oh, that’s where the rubber meets the road.
• SURE In a controlled setting, all is well.
• We choose faithfulness! Amen brother!
• BUT when the heat is on and times are tough… then what?
• Well, it’s too bad AND it’s always sad, to see folks choose the route of unfaithfulness! To see them throw in the towel!
Galatians 1.6-7 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
Turning away from God when all the while He’s there for them!
2 Timothy 2.13 If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.
Psalm 27.10 When my father and my mother forsake me, Then the LORD will take care of me.
NOTE: So when we get to a CH like Dan. 6, we’re encouraged. Why?
• Because Daniel was able to remain faithful in the midst of many very trying & tough times.
• He was empowered by God to stand strong and steady on!
• And if Daniel could do it, WE can.
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
And so we have this wonderful story to encourage & uplift us.
• It’s filled with an interesting cast of characters!
• FIRST There’s Daniel… sure and steady.
• THEN There’s Darius… ruling by convenience not conviction.
• NEXT we have the 120 satraps… Daniel’s peers & subordinates who are agents and messengers of Satan himself.
• They are frustrated & furious over Daniel’s faith!
APP: Even as there might be people around us that come against us as we attempt to live a righteous life in an unrighteous world!
• We all have peers & bosses & subordinates.
• And sometimes, JUST BECAUSE you’re a believer, they have a hard time with it and…
• It’s only a matter of time before THEIR HARD TIME becomes YOUR HARD TIME in a very real way!
• So let’s look and learn, read and receive from Daniel’s example!
I. (6.1-9) THE SET UP
1. (1-3) A Distinguished man!
a. Daniel was distinguished, v3 tells us.
NOTE: IN 539BC with the fall of Babylon, Darius the Mede received the kingdom.
• As he surveyed the kingdom for those men to help lead and rule and oversee, Daniel stood out. He was one of 3 chosen to rule!
NOTE: There was something noticeably different about him.
• We could say, his faith in God changed Him, marked him.
Proverbs 20.6 Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, But who can find a faithful man?