Summary: Learn how the principles of an eagle’s life can enrich our own spiritual lives.
Text: Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the Lord (those who expect, look for and set their hope in Him) shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles (they will have the strength to live above their circumstances), they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint". (They will not grow tired in their faith)
"Bless the Lord oh my soul and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all of your iniquities and heals all of your diseases, who redeems your life from destruction, who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, who satisfies your mouth with good things (who meets all your necessities and desires), so that your youth (your new life in Christ) is renewed (it will be strong, overcoming or unceasing and soaring or upward) like the eagle".
We find that in the Bible God often compares His children with things and types like;
1. Branches on a vine (Jesus said; I am the vine and you are the branches)
2. Trees by a river (Psalms 1:3 says; "We are like a tree planted by a river of living water that brings forth fruit in season")
3. Sheep (Jesus said; "My sheep know my voice")
4. Light ("You are the light of the world")
5. Salt ("You are the salt of the earth")
And so many other things ( In these verses He compares us to eagles)
-We see spiritual truths in the eagles way of life that we can apply to our life!
-God could have compared some to another type of bird (like the chicken) since they display some of the same characteristics, but He didn’t. He chose to compare us to the eagle.
Maybe today we can make a self-evaluation of ourselves in order to become the kind of Spiritual eagles that God designed us to be.
Facts about chickens and eagles;
ARE YOU CLOSER TO BEING A SPIRITUAL EAGLE OR A SPIRITUAL CHICKEN?
I. Facts about chickens
#1. Chickens love to go with the flow and follow other chickens.
- If one chicken wonders out of the chicken coop all of the others follow
- They may not know where they are going, but they don’t want to miss out on anything that is going on.
#2. They make big deals over small matters.
-When a chicken lays an egg. All the other chickens in the chicken yard find out.
-If one finds a worm or a bug in the dirt. They all want it (all the chickens in the yard will pursue and kill that other chicken for a little bug).
-They eat anything they can pick on (especially if another chicken is eating it).
#3. Some chickens are bullies
They love to take stuff away from other fellow chicken and they pick on others smaller than them.
#4. Some love to show off.
-Have you seen a chicken crowing at 4 in the morning?
-They are real wimps, run after it and you will see.
#5. Chickens are not interested in heavenly things.
- They are content with the chicken coop
- scratching the dirt for food,
- always looking down
- They are earth bound and most will not fly long distances.
LIVING A CHICKEN KIFE IS NOT for Christians!
-They spend all their time fighting, arguing, eating dirt, looking at the ground, and confined to the chicken yard.
II.Christians are called to be Spiritual Eagles
Facts about eagles;
#1. The appearance of an eagle says a lot about it
- An eagle has an air of confidence in its face.
-The ruler of the sky and nothing escapes its vision or eyesight.
- It’s Wings, speed and agility, Sharp claws and strong beak can snatch and kill an animal bigger then itself.
- Feathers are designed to conserve body heat in the winter and to keep the eagle cool in the summer (it adapts to his own territory and external conditions cannot effect the eagles flight)
#2. Things that are similar to us
1. They only have one mate for life. Till death.
2. Both parents sit on the eggs, guard the nest, feed the young and train them.
3. Little eagles cannot survive on worms and grasshoppers but it must eventually move on to a diet that will allow them to grow healthy.
4. Every need is supplied for the young till they can manage on their own.
5. Eagles are born to fly (the sky is their atmosphere, they are trained by the parents If the eagle does not learn to fly on its own it will eventually become the hunted instead of the hunter, the victim instead of the victor, the prey instead of the pursuer.)
6. When storms come. They mount up and fly above the storm instead of letting the storm get the best of them.