Summary: This is a breakdown of one of the most powerful and comforting passages in the Bible.
LIVING UNDER THE SHADOW
1. I remember hearing the humorous story of a group of soldiers at boot camp at the end of a long day.
2. The sergeant had just turned out the lights and the poor soldiers knew it wouldn't be very long until reveille was sounded, driving them from their beds.
3. One soldier began to pray, "Now I lay me down to sleep, (etc., until)… And if I die before I wake, THANK YOU LORD!”
4. In the darkness, ten soldiers said a loud, "Amen!"
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” 3 Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. 5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, 6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. 8 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. 9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, 10 no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. 11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; 12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 15 He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
1. This is one of the most powerful and comforting passages in the Bible. Let's take a few minutes and try to absorb what it means to our lives.
2. The title of this message is, "Living Under the Shadow."
I. BECOMING ONE WHO TRUSTS GOD
A. DWELL IN THE SECRET PLACE
1. WHAT IS THE “SECRET PLACE” OF THE MOST HIGH?
a. Sometimes that term is used of a secret hiding-place, as of places David resorted to when he was a fugitive.
b. Other times, it’s used of the central tent of the Commander of an Army, as in Psalm 27:5, "He shall hide me in His pavilion…." The enemy would have to break through rank after rank of soldiers to get to it.
c. But most likely, it referred to the Most Holy Place in the Tabernacle/Temple. That sacred chamber was the abode of the Shekinah glory of God's presence.
d. So it refers to the place of God's presence/dwelling.
2. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO “DWELL” THERE?
a. No man literally ever dwelt there. So the words have a spiritual meaning.
b. "Home is where the heart is."