Summary: Part 2 of 3 in the Living Your Calling series
"Living Your Calling"
Part 2 - Our Unique Abilities
NewSong Church - 07/20/08
Winston Churchill, once said, “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”
:: Thoughts on Festivals ::
• So many vendors selling
• Not commercial, cloned everybody-has-one-so-you-should-too stuff
• Instead, these vendors were dedicated to selling unique works, original works they had created
• The food vendors were most popular – because they invited you to see their abilities and unique creations and then experience them
• They gave away samples – their abilities became part of a gift to anyone walking by
God created us with unique abilities for a planned purpose. [slide 2]
Jeremiah 1:4-5 [slide 3]
“The Word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;’”
Ephesians 2:10 [slide 4]
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
• The purpose of creating us this way – as a unique work of art – is not only for our benefit
• It is to accomplish the “good things” or “good works” which God had already planned long ago for us to do – for God and others
• God gave you abilities and calling for the benefit of serving others in the name of Jesus
• You are created with undeniable calling and unique abilities [slide 5]
1. How do I recognize and identify my abilities?
2. What is God’s plan for me, and the abilities He gave me?
3. How can I turn those abilities into a gift for someone else?
How do I recognize and identify my abilities? [slide 6]
Our unique abilities can be natural or spiritual
• We identify natural abilities by the skills and talents that we have
• These abilities often define who we are and direct our life-choices
• Many people have never really explored who God has made them to be
• Some have not tapped into all the potential God has given them
• On the other hand we may know some of our natural abilities, but we haven’t been using them specifically to serve God
** What are your natural abilities? **
• Other abilities are spiritual, given to us by God when we come to faith in Jesus Christ.
• The Holy Spirit gives us these spiritual gifts as he chooses
• I am not going to go into a lot of detail on the different spiritual abilities
• But I want you to know this: whatever your ability, it has a place within NewSong.
• Whether natural or spiritual, God gave these abilities so we can serve God and others
What is God’s plan for me, and the abilities He gave me? [slide 7]
Our abilities are intended to be gifts – given away to God and others
Give it Away Now
What are we giving ourselves away to right now in life?
• Money & Possessions
• Family & Careers
• Our abilities are certainly meant to be used in these areas
• But they are not the top priority, they’re not the final goal
1 Corinthians 12:7 [slide 8]
A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church.
1 Peter 4:10-11 [slide 9]
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms…Then God will be given glory in everything through Jesus Christ.