Summary: Part 2 of 3 in the Living Your Calling series
"Living Your Calling"
Part 2 - Our Unique Abilities
NewSong Church - 07/20/08
Winston Churchill, once said, “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”
:: Thoughts on Festivals ::
• So many vendors selling
• Not commercial, cloned everybody-has-one-so-you-should-too stuff
• Instead, these vendors were dedicated to selling unique works, original works they had created
• The food vendors were most popular – because they invited you to see their abilities and unique creations and then experience them
• They gave away samples – their abilities became part of a gift to anyone walking by
God created us with unique abilities for a planned purpose. [slide 2]
Jeremiah 1:4-5 [slide 3]
“The Word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;’”
Ephesians 2:10 [slide 4]
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
• The purpose of creating us this way – as a unique work of art – is not only for our benefit
• It is to accomplish the “good things” or “good works” which God had already planned long ago for us to do – for God and others
• God gave you abilities and calling for the benefit of serving others in the name of Jesus
• You are created with undeniable calling and unique abilities [slide 5]
1. How do I recognize and identify my abilities?
2. What is God’s plan for me, and the abilities He gave me?
3. How can I turn those abilities into a gift for someone else?
How do I recognize and identify my abilities? [slide 6]
Our unique abilities can be natural or spiritual
• We identify natural abilities by the skills and talents that we have
• These abilities often define who we are and direct our life-choices
• Many people have never really explored who God has made them to be
• Some have not tapped into all the potential God has given them
• On the other hand we may know some of our natural abilities, but we haven’t been using them specifically to serve God
** What are your natural abilities? **
• Other abilities are spiritual, given to us by God when we come to faith in Jesus Christ.
• The Holy Spirit gives us these spiritual gifts as he chooses
• I am not going to go into a lot of detail on the different spiritual abilities
• But I want you to know this: whatever your ability, it has a place within NewSong.
• Whether natural or spiritual, God gave these abilities so we can serve God and others
What is God’s plan for me, and the abilities He gave me? [slide 7]
Our abilities are intended to be gifts – given away to God and others
Give it Away Now
What are we giving ourselves away to right now in life?
• Money & Possessions
• Family & Careers
• Our abilities are certainly meant to be used in these areas
• But they are not the top priority, they’re not the final goal
1 Corinthians 12:7 [slide 8]
A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church.
1 Peter 4:10-11 [slide 9]
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms…Then God will be given glory in everything through Jesus Christ.
Our abilities remain “ours” until we give them away. We may be using them right now, but they may be focused on things other than God. Our gifts are fully realized when we give them to God and let Him use them.
• In His Church – to grow and build up others
• In the lives of others – to encourage and share Christ’s love
• In our lives – to help us become like Jesus
Gift Prevention [slide 10]
There are many things that will try to keep us from giving our abilities to others
• Fear of rejection
• Fear of failure
• Fear of commitment
Don’t be limited by what you think of your abilities, or even by what others think of them – our God is the God of all possibilities, and as we learn, we believe he gives us the grace to grow.
We need to find our confidence and validation in God – we are His masterpiece, and so the abilities He has given to us are of great value
How can I turn my abilities into a gift?
Once given, our gifts help us fulfill our planned purpose.