Summary: THE CORRUPTION OF THIS WORLD CREATES A LONGING FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
THE CORRUPTION OF THIS WORLD CREATES A LONGING FOR
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
I. (:1-3) THE CORRUPTION OF THIS WORLD IS UNIVERSAL
A. The Foolishness of Corruption
1. The Denial of the Fool -- "There is no God"
2. The Character of the Corrupt -- "They are corrupt"
3. The Conduct of the Corrupt -- "They have committed abominable deeds"
4. The Extent of Corruption -- "There is no one who does good"
B. The Evaluation of the Lord
1. The Lord is Watching and Evaluating
Perspective: "from heaven"
Subjects of Scrutiny: "sons of men"
Key Issue: Spiritua l Understanding -- "any who understand"
Seeking after God -- "who seek after God"
2. Fourfold Condemnation
"they have all turned aside"
"together they have become corrupt"
"there is no one who does good"
"not even one"
II. (:4-6) THE WICKED HAVE NO CLUE THAT GOD REALLY IS
ON THE SIDE OF THE RIGHTEOUS
A. The Ignorance of the Wicked (:4)
1. Persecuting the People of God
2. Ignoring God Himself
“Do all the workers of wickedness not know,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon the Lord?”
B. The Panic that will Grip Them When God Shows His Allegiance
(= whose side He is on) (:5)
1. Great Dread – “There they are in great dread”
2. God is on the Side of the Righteous
“For God is with the righteous generation”
C. The Futility of Fighting Against the Lord (:6)
“You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted,.But the Lord is his refuge.”
III. (:7) THE RIGHTEOUS LONG FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT
OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
A. The Source of Deliverance
‘Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!”
B. The Restoration from Captivity
“When the Lord restores His captive people”
C. The Rejoicing
“Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.”
* * * * * * * * * *
1) In what ways do I foolishly live as if there were no God?
2) What is the root problem of an atheist? How best can I help such a person?
3) What can I learn about the depravity of man from this passage?
4) How much am I longing for the “salvation of Israel to come out of Zion”?
Cf. the conclusion of the Book of Revelation: “Even so Come Lord Jesus.”
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)