Summary: Four requests for spiritual help we need from the Lord.
Lord, We Need Your Help!
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - Feb. 8, 2009
*Do you ever feel like you need spiritual help? -- Oh yeah! -- Especially when I am struggling or see people I love struggling with faults and weaknesses.
*If you don’t feel like you need spiritual help, let me tell you: You need a lot of spiritual help. You may even be lost. But all of us can cry out to the Lord. And we can use this Scripture to help us do it.
1. The first prayer request is, “Lord, help us see Your signs.”
*In vs. 1-4 some hard-hearted Jewish rulers could not see the Lord’s signs:
1. Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that (Jesus) would show them a sign from heaven.
2. He answered and said to them, "When it is evening you say, `It will be fair weather, for the sky is red’;
3. and in the morning, `It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.
4. A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.’’ And He left them and departed.
*Some other scribes and Pharisees had asked Jesus for a sign back in Matt 12.
-There in vs. 39-40 He told them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. -For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
*God surely gives signs. He still speaks through the still small voice of His Holy Spirit -- urging us to do the right thing at the right time. God still speaks through our circumstances. Sometimes He speaks to people through dreams. (Sometimes He hits us over the head with a 2-by-4!) Most of all, He speaks to us through His Word.
*God gives signs. But here Jesus said, “A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.”
*Why did the Lord say that? The reason why is because there were never enough signs for those hard-hearted, unbelieving people.
-No generation has ever seen as many signs as that generation had seen!
-Those Pharisees and Sadducees had heard the reports. Some of them had seen the miracles first hand.
*Up to this point in Matthew, we see at least 18 reports of miracles, involving thousands of people.
*In Matt 8 Jesus healed a leper. -Then with just a word He healed a Roman soldier’s servant who had some kind of paralyzing disease.
-Jesus also healed Peter’s mother-in-law of a fever by touching her hand.
-He cast out demons with His word, calmed the wind and the raging sea, then cast out a whole legion of demons from two men.
*In Matt 9, Jesus healed another paralyzed man and forgave his sins.
-Then He healed a woman who had been bleeding for 12 years, and He raised Jairus’ daughter from the dead!
-Jesus also healed two blind men by touching their eyes.