Summary: Follow scripture when you observe the Lord's Table be sure you qualify to partake don't partake unworthily. Keep in mind this is a memorial service because Christ said do this in "Remembrance of Me."
LORDS SUPPER QUALIFICATION
Introduction: As we will conduct one of the two rituals Christ has given to the Church in a few minutes let’s reflect on what scripture says concerning this great event. Christ established it the night of His arrest and commanded us to conduct this service in Memory of Him. Where in Luke 22:19-20 He said “Do this in Remembrance of Me”
Core: The Lord Supper is to be conducted as a memorial service to Jesus Christ we are to reflect upon what He has accomplished for us.
I. Reflect upon the purpose of His coming.
A. John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
1. He came to bring Salvation to all mankind not condemnation.
2. He accomplished His mission when He died upon that cross and rose from the dead.
3. 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
4. As well as 1 John 4:9-11 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
5. He paid the price for our sins
6. He paid the price for All mankind’s sins so the issue is trust in Christ alone
7. For you cannot trust in works.
8. Ephesians 2 verse 8 & 9. 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
9. If Salvation is by works then we can have pride in what we have done to make it to heaven and there is no need to have Faith in what Christ has accomplished for us.
10. The gift of God is Salvation by Faith in Jesus Christ.
B. We need to remember He came to bring Salvation to all mankind.
1. With His death on the cross John says He accomplished just that.
2. We need to take this further He died for _________. Put you name at the end of that sentence
3. He became the “propitiation for our sins:” that would be all that believe on the Lord Jesus
4. But 1 John 2:2 takes it further when John says Propitiation was “…not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
5. That would be the unbeliever’s sins.
6. Propitiation here in 1 John 2:2 means that sin has been paid for by another.
7. Christ is my advocate as well as yours if you have truly believed
8. He is interceding on my behalf as well as yours if you have placed your faith in Him
9. He is my propitiation as well as yours, whether you have believed or haven’t believed, John says He is the Propitiation of the whole world.
10. We need to remember that He is the propitiation for believer and unbeliever alike.
C. God sent Him out of Love
1. God so Loved the World, John 3:16 tells us
2. That He sent His only begotten Son
3. All that believe will not perish
4. But have eternal life.
D. Because He came all who receive are changed.
1. Ephesians 4:22-24 tells us that you receive new life
2. Ephesians 2:1 and 5 tell us we have been made alive, made new
3. While Ephesians 2 8 & 9 say our salvation is by Grace
4. Through faith, that is worth remembering.
II. Remember we have a new Life according to 1st Corinthians 5:17
A. Old things have passed away all things have become new.
1. Gone is the old life style and that came at Salvation that is worth remembering
2. He made us new.
3. That is great news.
4. We need to remember He did that for us.
B. We are to walk in newness of life. Romans 6:4
1. We were buried with Him in Baptism
2. Raised in newness of life by Glory of the Father
3. So we should walk in newness of life.
4. So we must seek His will in all we do.
C. Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
1. Christ delivered us form the penalty of the Law
2. We should serve Him in newness of Spirit