Summary: 15 ways to putlove into our actions
LOVE IS A VERB NOT A FEELING
I Cor. 13:4-7
Love is something we do. Many have read this chapter and it is not difficult to understand so the problem comes in doing what we know it says to do. Our lives are based on our willing to do more than knowing what we need to do. These verses are very easy to understand and there depth is not hard to get into our thinking. There are fifthteen actions to help us put love into our lives. We see what love does do and what love does not do. This message is one in which you will need to take notes on things that God is talking to you about and put into action the things He wants you to change or do. One man came to church one day and left disappointed because he was never challenged to change his life. This is challenge message.
A. What we can do to love in our actions and thoughts:
1. Love Suffers long and is patient. God’s Love Is Patient. We should not be impatient but allow people to grow at their own pace. In the life of Abraham Lincoln, we have a good example of this. A man named Stanton treated him with unjust contempt. He slandered his name, yet he appointed him as minister of war because he was the most qualified. He also extended to him every courtesy. When the president had been fatally shot, Stanton said, “There lays the greatest ruler the world has ever seen.” This is a command not a suggestion.
2. Love Acts kindly, cares more for others than for self, never gives up. God’s Love Is Kind. We must be gentle and sensitive to the needs and hurts of people. We must allow them to be what they are and not demand that they be something else. A traveler nearing a great city asked an old man seated by the road, "What are the people like in this city?" The man replied, "What were they like where you came from?" "A terrible lot," the traveler reported. "Mean, untrustworthy, detestable in all respects." "Ah," said the old man. "You will find them the same in the city ahead." Scarcely had the first traveler gone on his way when another stopped to inquire about the people in the city before him. Again, the old man asked about the people in the place the traveler had just left. "They were fine people, honest, industrious, and generous to a fault. I was sorry to leave," declared the second traveler. Responded the wise one, "So you will find them in the city ahead." Boyd Seevers This is a command not a suggestion.
3. Love rejoices in the truth, It is never glad about unfairness, It isn’t happy when injustice is done, Rejoices not in wickedness but rejoices whenever the truth wins out, it is happy with the truth. God’s Love Rejoices with the Truth. Other people will see our values by what we get most excited about. Many arguments would not have happened if we had taken the time to understand what the other person was thinking. There are three sides to every story, your side, my side and the right side. The right side is the truth we find in God’s word. His word says the world will know me by the love you have for one another. This is a command not a suggestion.
4. Love bears all things, Puts up with anything; Love never stops being patient, God’s Love
Bears and Believes All Things. We must expect the best and see people as God sees people,
for the potential, they can become with Christ’s help. In the O. T. we have the prophet Hosea
who tells that God is faithful yet His people turned to others. These people even choose to let
another nation rule over them. God did not give up though he was rejected and showed his
love to one who should have not received that love. How is your love for those who show no
love back to you? This is a command not a suggestion.
5. Love believes all things, never stops believing, and never loses faith. It is in love that we
develop a climate of trust. When we do not trust others it is very hard to love and for them
to love us. It is love that makes one generous. We trust God because we know He is love and
therefore, others should be able to trust in us. "Read, every day, something no one else is reading.
Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else
would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of conformity." Christopher Morley. This is a command not a suggestion.