Summary: LOVE FOR GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO A LIFE OF OBEDIENCE THAT BRINGS PEACE AND HOPE
LOVE FOR GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO A LIFE OF OBEDIENCE THAT BRINGS PEACE AND HOPE
I. (:161-164) FOUR WAYS TO EXPRESS LOVE FOR GOD’S WORD
A. (:161) Fear God’s Word in Awe and Wonderment /
But Don’t Fear the Unjust Persecution of Men
"Princes persecute me without cause, But my heart stands in awe of Thy words."
B. (:162) Get Excited About God’s Word (Like Winning the Lottery)
"I rejoice at Thy word; As one who finds great spoil."
C. (:163) Hate Every Lie / But Love the Truth
"I hate and despise falsehood, But I love Thy law."
D. (:164) Praise God Continually Because His Word is Righteous
"Seven times a day I praise Thee, Because of Thy righteous ordinances."
II. (:165-168) A LIFE OF OBEDIENCE BRINGS PEACE AND HOPE
A. (:167-168) What Motivates a Life of Obedience?
1. (:167) Love for God’s Word Motivates Obedience
"My soul keeps Thy testimonies, And I love them exceedingly."
2. (:168) Living in God’s Presence Motivates Obedience
"I keep Thy precepts and Thy testimonies, For all my ways are before Thee."
B. (:165-166) What Results From a Life of Obedience?
1. (:165) Great Peace in the Present
"Those who love Thy law have great peace, And nothing causes them to stumble."
2. (:166) Firm Hope in the Future
"I hope for Thy salvation, O Lord, And do Thy commandments."
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Do we have a proper fear of the Lord and of His Word that takes precedence over any fear of powerful men and motivates our obedience since all of our ways are openly observed by His scrutiny?
2) Do we rejoice over God’s Word as we would over the discovery of hidden treasure?
3) Do we make it a habit throughout the day to praise the Lord?
4) Do we experience the peace that only the Lord can give that comes only to those “who love God’s law”?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)