Summary: Part 5 of RAISING IN ARIZONA - Parenting in the Son! Be a M3om - a Mom who Matures in her faith, Models her faith and Marks her children with her faith. A faithful Mom leaves an eternal legacy!
RAISING IN ARIZONA
Part 5 “M3om”
Dr. Randy Deal
May 10, 2009
RAISING IN ARIZONA bumper, then YouTube’s “A Mom’s Overture” (3:03)
Happy Mother’s Day Mom! This message is dedicated to you! And Happy Mother’s Day Ma (in heaven)! And Happy Mother’s Day to my “other” moms…Leti, Shirley, Sharon, Doris and Judy!
Cont. series…last week…our role as COACH never stops if done well…
Today…Mom = 600,000 children! Octomom got nothin’ on her! One of the GREATEST MOMS of all time! The mother of MOSES…
Her name? Yo-keh-bed = YO-YO-YO-YO-KEH-BED! = “Jehovah is glory!”
Turn to Exodus 2:1-10…(only 2nd book in Bible so even guys can find it!)
SHE DEFINITELY LIVED UP TO HER NAME…Jewish Traditon says about her…
- Greatest Jewish woman who ever lived! LOOK AT HER KIDS…
- 2ND ONLY TO JESUS…Moses was the GREATEST MAN THAT EVER LIVED!
- Moses brought the children of Israel out of Egypt!
- Moses received 10 COMMANDMENTS on Mount Sinai!
- Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible!
- Son Aaron was High Priest & father of lineage of High Priests!
- Daughter Miriam lead all the Jewish women in praise of God after the crossing of the Red Sea!
- Miriam was Prophetess in whose merits they had water during 40 years of wandering in the desert!
- Jochebed = Considered = MOTHER of Israel!
- Daughter of Levi, son of Jacob, son of Abraham
- 300 yrs earlier the children of Israel had migrated into Egypt because there was a famine in their land
- Initially, everything was fine
- Joseph was the prime minister there in Egypt, a Hebrew, and everything was great
- Jochebed born when just entered Egypt
- Suddenly, though, the Bible says, there arose a Pharaoh, a leader, a new administration, who had no concept of Joseph
- They made the Israelites their slaves!!! DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS!
- Brought up by her father & grandfather
- Married her nephew Amram, her father’s grandson
- She quickly becomes the Chief Jewish Nurse in all of Egypt!
- She = Lead Midwife!
- If slavery wasn’t bad enough…Pharaoh one day, sitting on his throne, looks around the countryside and he sees all of these Hebrew children, this giant Israelite baby boom
- He’s thinking, “Wait a minute. I’d better do something about this.”
- So, what does he do? He puts task masters over the Hebrews and he tries to tire them out and work them so much that they don’t even want to think about multiplying
- Pharaoh decrees the Hebrew midwives as they’re assisting the Israelites in birth, if it’s a boy baby, to take the boy baby and throw the baby into the Nile for crocodile food!
- Hebrew midwives come back to Pharaoh and they say, “Pharaoh, these - - - - Hebrew women, they are so vigorous; they’re having children so quickly, we can’t get to them fast enough.”
- Pharaoh’s paranoid!
- He didn’t want these people to revolt against him.
- He didn’t want the Israelites to leave because the economy in Egypt would crash.
- Jochebed = great lover of Jewish children!
- Devoted life to helping Jewish moms & their newborns
- Daughter Miriam, little girl of 5 helped her
- Jochebed & Miriam worked day & night helping young Jewish moms