Summary: Part 5 of RAISING IN ARIZONA - Parenting in the Son! Be a M3om - a Mom who Matures in her faith, Models her faith and Marks her children with her faith. A faithful Mom leaves an eternal legacy!
RAISING IN ARIZONA
Part 5 “M3om”
Dr. Randy Deal
May 10, 2009
RAISING IN ARIZONA bumper, then YouTube’s “A Mom’s Overture” (3:03)
Happy Mother’s Day Mom! This message is dedicated to you! And Happy Mother’s Day Ma (in heaven)! And Happy Mother’s Day to my “other” moms…Leti, Shirley, Sharon, Doris and Judy!
Cont. series…last week…our role as COACH never stops if done well…
Today…Mom = 600,000 children! Octomom got nothin’ on her! One of the GREATEST MOMS of all time! The mother of MOSES…
Her name? Yo-keh-bed = YO-YO-YO-YO-KEH-BED! = “Jehovah is glory!”
Turn to Exodus 2:1-10…(only 2nd book in Bible so even guys can find it!)
SHE DEFINITELY LIVED UP TO HER NAME…Jewish Traditon says about her…
- Greatest Jewish woman who ever lived! LOOK AT HER KIDS…
- 2ND ONLY TO JESUS…Moses was the GREATEST MAN THAT EVER LIVED!
- Moses brought the children of Israel out of Egypt!
- Moses received 10 COMMANDMENTS on Mount Sinai!
- Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible!
- Son Aaron was High Priest & father of lineage of High Priests!
- Daughter Miriam lead all the Jewish women in praise of God after the crossing of the Red Sea!
- Miriam was Prophetess in whose merits they had water during 40 years of wandering in the desert!
- Jochebed = Considered = MOTHER of Israel!
- Daughter of Levi, son of Jacob, son of Abraham
- 300 yrs earlier the children of Israel had migrated into Egypt because there was a famine in their land
- Initially, everything was fine
- Joseph was the prime minister there in Egypt, a Hebrew, and everything was great
- Jochebed born when just entered Egypt
- Suddenly, though, the Bible says, there arose a Pharaoh, a leader, a new administration, who had no concept of Joseph
- They made the Israelites their slaves!!! DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS!
- Brought up by her father & grandfather
- Married her nephew Amram, her father’s grandson
- She quickly becomes the Chief Jewish Nurse in all of Egypt!
- She = Lead Midwife!
- If slavery wasn’t bad enough…Pharaoh one day, sitting on his throne, looks around the countryside and he sees all of these Hebrew children, this giant Israelite baby boom
- He’s thinking, “Wait a minute. I’d better do something about this.”
- So, what does he do? He puts task masters over the Hebrews and he tries to tire them out and work them so much that they don’t even want to think about multiplying
- Pharaoh decrees the Hebrew midwives as they’re assisting the Israelites in birth, if it’s a boy baby, to take the boy baby and throw the baby into the Nile for crocodile food!
- Hebrew midwives come back to Pharaoh and they say, “Pharaoh, these - - - - Hebrew women, they are so vigorous; they’re having children so quickly, we can’t get to them fast enough.”
- Pharaoh’s paranoid!
- He didn’t want these people to revolt against him.
- He didn’t want the Israelites to leave because the economy in Egypt would crash.
- Jochebed = great lover of Jewish children!
- Devoted life to helping Jewish moms & their newborns
- Daughter Miriam, little girl of 5 helped her
- Jochebed & Miriam worked day & night helping young Jewish moms
- Got clothes & baby food from richer Jews to give to poorer Jews
- Risked their lives for ALL the children!
- Brought REAL help!
- Angels of Mercy!
- God protected them!
- Mother of 600,000 cuz as MOM of Moses = worth all the people of Israel who came out of Egypt!
- All this! And she finds herself pregnant!
- Moses born when Miriam was 5 and Aaron was 3
Seen The Ten Commandments movie version, but here’s what really happened…
Exodus 2:1-10 (NASB)
1Now a man from the house of Levi went and married a daughter of Levi. 2The woman conceived and bore a son; and when she saw that he was beautiful, she hid him for three months. 3But when she could hide him no longer, she got him a wicker basket and covered it over with tar and pitch Then she put the child into it and set it among the reeds by the bank of the Nile. 4His sister stood at a distance to find out what would happen to him. 5The daughter of Pharaoh came down to bathe at the Nile, with her maidens walking alongside the Nile; and she saw the basket among the reeds and sent her maid, and she brought it to her. 6When she opened it, she saw the child, and behold, the boy was crying. And she had pity on him and said, "This is one of the Hebrews’ children." 7Then his sister said to Pharaoh’s daughter, "Shall I go and call a nurse for you from the Hebrew women that she may nurse the child for you?" 8Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, "Go ahead." So the girl went and called the child’s mother. 9Then Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, "Take this child away and nurse him for me and I will give you your wages." So the woman took the child and nursed him. 10The child grew, and she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. And she named him Moses, and said, "Because I drew him out of the water."